Thursday, September 22, 2011

Table for Mister Renfield!

Today's Bizarro is a twist on the old "there's a fly in my soup" theme, featuring a very familiar character in an unfamiliar setting:
My sketch was a little more graphic, or at least more generous with the garnish:
The above sketch was actually the second stab at this joke.

For you, my beloved blog-followers, here's the previously-unpublished first sketch:
Bizarro's, creator Dan Piraro, and I both liked this gag, but realized immediately that it would never "fly" as a comic in the daily papers.

I generally prefer a more subtle, deadpan approach, but in this case, I still like the too-gross-for-the-papers "director's cut." This is probably due to my general antipathy toward superheroes. It was fun to show this guy truly doing "whatever a spider can," down to his dietary habits. Can't you just imagine him praying that his elderly Aunt won't walk in on him, catching him in the act?

Also, one has to question whether the average reader who doesn't work in a truck stop would even recognize flypaper.

Dan and I will share our next comic conspiracy on Monday, September 26. In the meantime, you're invited to view all of our previous collaborations in this blog's Bizarro archive.

4 comments:

  1. I love the original version of this. It boggles my mind that something like that can be considered too over the top. Clearly newspaper comics editors haven't watched television in the last 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:43 PM

    Those were all great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your second one is the best of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayne, I dare you to do the sequel, Peter Parker's Other Dirty Little Secret, which depicts him similarly clad, but this time on his hands and knees in front of a a row of guys who're only shown from the waist down, their as yet unopened flys highly prominent!

    ReplyDelete