Thursday, October 06, 2011

Cracking Up

Today's Bizarro comic involves very simple wordplay, and relies on the image to punch it up for the laugh.
Dan Piraro's masterful drawing really carries this one. The line of dialog is identical to the rough I submitted, and the art is very similar, though Dan swapped the characters' positions, and emphasized the drapery in the background.
Dan's re-staging follows his general practice of placing the the payoff on the right side of the frame.

The model for Humpty  I had in mind was John Tenniel's version, as featured in Through the Looking Glass. At the time I drew this I wasn't able to access the web for a reference image, so I relied on my memory. Dan's version looks like an egg creature, whereas mine resembles a guy wearing some sort of egg mascot outfit.

Since I wasn't near my studio, I had to resort to using a copier with email capabilities to digitize the image, which explains the substandard quality of this scan.

My next collaboration with Dan will appear on October 21 Bizarro, and it's a recent favorite that I look forward to sharing with you.


As always, our previous cooperative cartoons are archived here.

No comments:

Post a Comment