Saturday, January 06, 2024

Ringing in the New

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno



Civilization cannot last or advance without culture.
Ahmad Jamal (1930-2023)

Happy New Year to you all. Deadlines being what they are, it's now early March on my drawing board, but I did take a little time away from the studio for low-key holiday festivities.

This blog post will be briefer than usual. The platform I've been using for my weekly newsletter is supposed to shut down in late February, but it's already falling apart, so I'm working on launching it on a new, more stable site. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I think it'll be a good move.

Last week I shared a musical selection by the distinguished jazz musician Ahmad Jamal, and today we kick off with a quote from him. We at Bizarro Studios like to think that we contribute to our society's culture, if only in a small way.


In keeping with the theme of "cultcha," our first pipe pic model of the New Year is the late opera star Luciano Pavarotti.

The great tenor inspired a panel in my pre-Bizarro comic, WaynoVision.


Before anyone writes to correct my Italian, I'm aware that the lyric to the famous Neapolitan song is "O sole mio." I took liberties with the spelling in the hope that English-speaking readers would hear the word in their head as having two syllables.

It may have been a mistake, but I was my own editor on that comic. Today, I have wonderful real editors, who I can rely on to help me out with spelling, punctuation, and grammar.



Now that we've excavated an old cartoon, let's check out more recent work.



He also has difficulty in choosing between hemming and hawing.


Everybody deserves equine justice under the law.


These apex predators have many skills, but disguise isn't one of them.


A few sharp-eyed readers informed me that these characters are wearing the uniform of a Petty Officer Third Class. My photo research was clearly a little sloppy here, but to be fair, "Petty Officer Third Class Crunch" would have crowded the caption box.


Friday's gag depicts a scene from the catering tent on a Sergio Leone film shoot.


Sometimes one can blend in by standing out.

That wraps up our first batch of gags for 2024. Please drop by again next week.

Thank you, as always, for your readership and support.



Bonus Track

Mose Allison, "You Are My Sunshine"
From the album I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin'
Atlantic Records, 1968



The Italian phrase "o sole mio" translates roughly as "oh, my sun," which reminded me of Mose Allison's unique version of "You Are My Sunshine." 

It's not a bad song to start the year with.




Alternate Bizarro Sources

If you like what we do, and appreciate that it comes to you free of charge, we encourage you to explore any or all of the following links. 

Many thanks!


Wayno's Weekly Newsletter (NEW LOCATION!)

Dan Piraro's Weekly Bizarro Blog

Dan's Tip Jar (One-time or recurring)

Dan "Diego" Piraro's Peyote Cowboy Graphic Novel

Official Bizarro Shop

King Features Subscription & Archive Access




Copyright© 2024 by Wayno®  



  

10 comments:

  1. David Oyster11:29 AM

    As a naval academy grad and 22 new year Naval Officer ashamed I didn’t catch the seaman mistake🤪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me feel a little better about my mistake, David.

      Delete
  2. Wayno cartoons, Mose Allison, Ahmad Jamal, Substack working fine, all is right with the world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:51 PM

    Please! don’t take my sunshine away!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't think of it! You need your vitamin D.

      Delete
  4. Everything worked!!! Congrats & may your 2024 be safe, healthy, happy and dictator-for-life free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:53 PM

    Today I have real editors on whom I can rely…(or can you?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:56 PM

    …I have wonderful real editors ON WHOM I CAN RELY…(or can you?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:25 AM

    Hither and thither this ditherer dithers ... Lookin' good! Everything landed here with two thumbs up! Gunnar J

    ReplyDelete