Saturday, January 27, 2024

Get Your Stroller Runnin'

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


I got to do all this crazy shit—no regrets. That's the life, man. I hope to keep doing stuff until I croak.”
Ralph Carney (1956-2017)

Tuesday, January 23 was the anniversary of Ralph Carney's birth. Ralph was a singular musician, equally passionate about justice in the world and unabashed silliness. Above all, he was a treasured friend. Rather than focus on his passing, I like to observe his birthday, and remember his joy in "doing stuff."

It's a few days late, but I wish each of you a Happy Ralph Day. Get out there and do some crazy shit.




Today's pipe pic comes to us courtesy of Bizarro reader Geoff G of Eugene, Oregon.



Geoff will soon make his debut as a member of the chorus in a production of Verdi's La Traviata. The costume designer asked him to grow out his beard and sent him this stock photo of a hipsterish gentleman as a styling suggestion. I presume the ear stud and pipe are optional accessories.

Thanks to Geoff for the image. Let's wish him well in his first operatic appearance.

Coincidentally, your cartoonist decided to take a month off from shaving for no particular reason. My spouse and I are doing Dry(ish) January, and I joked that I'd also do Januhairy

I learned that I'm not the first to think of that portmanteau. In contrast to my frivolous experiment, Januhairy is a social media-based movement that started around six years ago. It's meant to encourage women to challenge conventional beauty standards, or more accurately, double standards.

I look forward to ending my hirsute hiatus and I tip my hat to the participants in the original Januhairy movement.



Following up on the art supply panic mentioned in last week's post, I've since found an excellent brush marker that I'll be using in the future. I was also able to order a supply of the one I've been using, from a vendor who still had some in stock. This batch should last me through the end of the year.



My plan is to continue to produce Bizarro gags, with whatever tools I have available. Let's review the latest examples, shall we?



Last June I did an entire week of gags using puns and wordplay in honor of Dan Piraro’s ongoing "Sunday Punnies" comics. I recently found myself with another bunch of panels with punny captions and scheduled them for this week. 

Please bear with me if this type of gag isn't your cup of tea.


Apologies to anyone who's disturbed by the image of an infant with a mustache. Januhairy, indeed.

For the strip, a vertical orientation worked best.

Wednesday's musical comic was seasonally appropriate. It's interesting to see how a few pieces of clothing can create recognizable versions of famous individuals.

Research for this drawing taught me that these containers are properly called gable top cartons. And of course, it would make sense that they speak through their spouts.


The dancing carton's pose was modeled on the familiar Chuck Jones character, Michigan J. Frog, although gable top cartons apparently are not as limber as frogs.


I fretted over using the correct letters in the dialog. I must have checked it CCC times.


It's nothing personal, just church business.

Thanks for joining us on a walk down Comical Memory Lane. We'll have another selection of words and pictures for you next Saturday, assuming I survive the straight razor shave I have scheduled for February 1.



Bonus Track

Tom Waits: "Telephone Call from Istanbul"
From the 1988 film Big Time


Waits's band at the time featured Ralph Carney, who takes a killer solo on this tune.




Bizarro Satellite Spots

If you like what we do, and appreciate that it comes to you free of charge, we encourage you to explore any or all of the following links. 

Many thanks!


Wayno's Weekly Newsletter

Dan Piraro's Weekly Bizarro Blog

Subscribe to The Naked Cartoonist 

Dan's Tip Jar (One-time or recurring)

Dan "Diego" Piraro's Peyote Cowboy Graphic Novel

Official Bizarro Shop

King Features Subscription & Archive Access




Copyright© 2024 by Wayno®  



  

7 comments:

  1. Nekoninda4:01 PM

    Your mentions of your searches for the ink brush/pens that you like leads me to a request. In a future blog, I would like to hear/read a short description of what parts of your art you do on paper (or other physical medium), and what parts you do in the computer. I know that you have given us some description before, but I would enjoy a reminder and perhaps a few new details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nekoninda, thank you for the great suggestion. I think that as I work on new batches, I'll pick one panel to document the process and share that in a future post. I appreciate the input!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:52 PM

    Today I was watching the concert video of the Velvet Underground "MCMXCIII Redux" reunion. Say, I wonder what year they did that in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:43 PM

    Oye luv here “Icy- D-C” comes aut like Aussie English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also reminded me of Lemmy singing "Ice of Spides."

      Delete
  4. badger8:35 PM

    Hi! Just wondering if the photo of you and Ralph Carney was taken at Randyland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Badger, you have a good eye! Yes, we visited Randyland the last time Ralph visited Pittsburgh. He checked out the Warhol Museum, and we had a great lunch together at Nicky's Thai then walked to Randyland.

      Delete