Saturday, January 20, 2024

Art Supply Angst

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno



DON'T PANIC.
Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

And when finally the bottom fell out
I became withdrawn
The only thing I knew how to do
Was to keep on keepin’ on like a bird that flew
Bob Dylan (Tangled Up in Blue)

Your cartoonist's anxiety was slightly elevated recently when I  tried to reorder a supply of my favorite Japanese brush pen and learned that it had been discontinued. They're easy to work with, with a point that's flexible enough for varying line widths, the ink is nice and dark, and they're inexpensive, which is a plus because I use a lot of them. After about a week, the point becomes smooshed and I open up a fresh one. I do keep the older ones for filling in solid black areas.

Fortunately, the manufacturer has another product that seems to use the same ink and has an identical point, with a different barrel. I inked a couple of gags with the new one, and there were no accidents or injuries. The cost is similar to the old standby, so all is well once again.

The quotes from Adams and Dylan come to mind as I recall this brief non-crisis. Every one of them words rang true, indeed.




Today's pipe pic is another self-portrait by a cartoonist.



Justin Green (1945-2022) introduces the 1972 minicomic "Jud" Green's Underground Cartooning Course.

I was aware of this mini, but don't own a copy. The entire book was recently posted on the Desert Island Comics Instagram page, which is where I snagged this image.

Green was an underground comix pioneer. His groundbreaking Binky Brown Meets the Holy Virgin Mary virtually created the genre of autobiographical comix, and influenced countless cartoonists, including Robert Crumb, Art Spiegelman, and Bill Griffith.

Green and his wife Carol Tyler, a masterful cartoonist in her own right, are the subjects of the recent documentary, Married to Comics. It's a powerfully honest film, which I highly recommend.



Now that I've calmed down, let's see the most recent Bizarro gags, which were inked with a trusty Kuretake PK-10S brush pen.



While we realize that lemmings don't actually jump off cliffs en masse, the myth is a useful metaphor for human behavior, including that of a significant minority of the American voting public.


As a person of Italian heritage, I endorse this treatment.


The arboreal equivalent of wearing short pants all year round.


If household pests were that neat in reality, people might not be so quick to hire exterminators.


I felt slightly guilty about cropping out the customer's head, but I was happy with the way I drew the pest control guy's shoes.


My inner coffee snob turns up its nose at espresso in paper cups, but I'll drink one in a cafe without protest. However, I draw the line at taking it to go.


Pulling strings is itself a job requirement.

And that closes out another week of two-dimensional jocularity. Thanks for checking it out.

See you next Saturday with more of this stuff. Remember not to panic, and to keep on keepin' on.



Bonus Track

Bob Dylan: "On the Road Again"
From Bringing It All Back Home
Columbia Records LP, 1965


Not the Willie Nelson song, "On the Road Again" contains some of Dylan's most hilariously surreal lyrics.




Visit Our Other Locations

If you like what we do, and appreciate that it comes to you free of charge, we encourage you to explore any or all of the following links. 

Many thanks!


Wayno's Weekly Newsletter

Dan Piraro's Weekly Bizarro Blog

Dan's Tip Jar (One-time or recurring)

Dan "Diego" Piraro's Peyote Cowboy Graphic Novel

Official Bizarro Shop

King Features Subscription & Archive Access




Copyright© 2024 by Wayno®  



  

14 comments:

  1. Steve I10:22 AM

    Looks like a typo on the line for Justin Green. Aren't you glad to have anal readers to point out stuff like that?

    I don't remember if I voted on whether to keep the blog and newsletter separate, but I am in favor of that. The newsletter is kinda like a preamble to whet our appetite and then when we are ready jump to the blog for the rest of the good stuff. And we all like good stuff.

    Also, there may be a gag in there somewhere using the words whet and wet. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! I do appreciate that, especially since my spelling and grammar checkers didn't catch the numerical error.

      I'm keeping the blog and newsletter separate for now, as you suggest.

      Delete
  2. Justin Green aged in reverse like Benjamin Button?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you can believe a bad typist. I've since corrected that one!

      Delete
  3. That was quite the piece by Captain Beefheart! I actually enjoyed it! And a Dylan rarity too!
    Keep up the good work Wayno. We'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judi! I appreciate the kind words.

      If you're at all curious to hear more Beefheart and are a Spotify user, check out the album "I'm Gonna Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978." It's an exuberant performance.


      https://open.spotify.com/album/7xnnbiMGjvRTgySBBHMWsM?si=zf7EMJHgSialwfuK-ynatg

      Delete
  4. I love it the way it is, Wayno! Keep on keepin' on! I use the "JustWatch" app to see where I can stream videos. I can't locate "Married to Comics." Where did you find it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Married to Comics" isn't on any streaming services yet. I believe they are shopping the film to distributors and festivals. It's only been exhibited a handful of times so far.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:28 PM

    Thanks for all you do, keeping us checking out music we might not otherwise hear, and making us laugh.FWIW I like the separate blog and newsletter. It just feels right.
    Not a pipe pic but a pipe story: I bought my first pipe as a 16 year old (too many years ago) When the headshop’s owner asked “do you want a bag for that?” I said “no thanks I’ve already got one.” We both had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a great story!

      Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm going to keep the newsletter as its own beast, with more miscellaneous stuff and details than the blog, which will focus mainly on the latest comics.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:44 PM

    I wear short pants year-round, but then I live in a SoCal surf town where it's required by city ordinance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't want you to get into trouble with the authorities!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous2:13 PM

    My copy of "Breaking Up The House" by the Red Beans & Rice Combo arrived today and it's a blast! I love the throwback CD label that makes it look like an LP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      All of the design credit goes to our Drum King, Dave Klug.

      Delete