Saturday, September 02, 2023

Smell You Later

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno



Happy September Saturday from your faithful ink monkey.

I've got my hands full with a variety of things this month. All are positive, so don't worry about me, I just want to let you know my next couple of blog entries will be rather brief.

Yes, Burt, but Bizarro's readers are kind and understanding, and I know they'll bear with me if I don't blab as much as usual for the time being (as long as I share a pipe pic, of course...)


An anonymous reader of the blog recommended this dandy 1957 comic book cover. Thank you, Jazz Pickle, whoever you are!


Now, on to our latest gags, with minimal commentary from the artist.



The Monster is always so literal...


And to think it all started started with a crumb.


I may have gone a little overboard with the Secret Symbols on Wednesday. I'm particularly proud of the dynamite.


The strip required major re-staging. 


Seems I'm getting into the Halloween mood a little early this year.
 


The latest mishap resulted in an OSHA reportable incident. Or was it an OSHIT reportable? 


This was taken from a recent colloquial translation of scripture.


That's the latest from Bizarro Studios North. Since I barely commented, I hope you all will pick up the slack and send me a truckload of comments on this batch.


See you next week with another truckload of chuckles.



Unrelated Bonus Track 


I'm sharing this clip for no reason other than I find it to be utterly charming. It's a 1976 appearance by George Harrison on Neil Innes and Eric Idle's Rutland Weekend Television show. George is backed by Neil Innes and his band Fatso. The guitarist on the far right is Billy Bremner, a few years before he joined Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe's band Rockpile.

I hope you enjoy it, mateys.


23 comments:

  1. Back in the '90s there was a room deodorizer product that was discs that looked like little CDs you'd put into a dispenser that activated them. I had a friend who worked in the art department at Dolby in San Francisco. He took one of their magazine ads and added a splash in the corner that said "Now with Doby Nose Reduction!" and had the Dolby logo. (I loved that he removed the middle letter from "Dolby" as well as "noise".) He put it on the wall in the lunchroom. Someone from Legal saw it and wrote a Cease and Desist letter to the manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a great work story. Thanks, Steve!

      Delete
  2. Carol W10:36 AM

    My favorite this week was the poor dog who failed, yet again, his house training. The "sorry' puppy face was drawn perfectly! The poster brought back memories of my Walmart days. WM is self-insured (who would write that policy?). People think WM has deep pockets and are ready to sue. Also, maybe management had a little concern for us. There was potential for serious injury in the warehouse. We did have concern for each other. Most importantly, our bonuses were tied to being accident-free or minimal. When our count was climbing, different managers would give a pep talk at our morning meetings. Remember seeing associates gather at various parts of the store to meet? The goal was to impart new information, inspire sales, and build teamwork. Remember seeing the "squiggly" wiggle? Yeah, we hated that!! As far as I know, there are no meetings these days and Wal~Mart eliminated the squiggly from its name. One time, a manager was being really harsh with us about being careless. Finally, one department manager asked what the accident was that brought our total up. The answer was that a woman hurt her back when putting a case of water in her cart. Like we could have prevented that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, what a "corporate" response that was!

      Thank you for the compliment on the sad puppy face. I've been trying to perfect that in real life, with less success.

      Delete
  3. Carol W10:39 AM

    The George Harrison song switcheroo was funny. The plain, basic set was the way they did it back then. I had to laugh when the leggy girl dancers arrived on the scene. The whole thing seems so innocent compared to now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that video clip!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:32 AM

    September 19th is "Sing Like a Pirate" day; I might have that wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin4:52 PM

      It is actually TALK like a pirate day. Google it to see a whole website about it.

      Delete
  5. I love that George Harrison clip. Thanks for sharing it! Plus another week of great drawings! Wahoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roxi Rossetti3:10 PM

    You are rightly proud of the dynamite placement in Wednesday's panel - also got a few extra giggles from the various spaceship occupants in this batch. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Wayno, if you’re weeks cartoons were a top fuel, funny car, then your car was running on almost 100% nitromethane and made a blast down the dragstrip so fiery and got top record speed and lowest E.T. of the event with me spectating. I hope you can understand this analogy and now I am heading straight for your tip jar. Thank you and by the way,number one and only because I am a father the “I got your nose” Gag blew me away with memories.
    Cheering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the very kind words!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous6:27 PM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U77Lyy9zQQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa that is super creepy!

      Warning to anyone who checks it out -- it's not for the squeasmish.

      Delete
  9. Nekoninda6:37 PM

    Two nose cartoons in one week! (Three, if you olfactory imagination extends to the puppy.) I particularly like the 'nose canceling headphones', and Steve Nicholson's comment about 'Doby Nose Reduction'. For my tastes, you have never put in too many secret symbols.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nekoninda! It's a bit of a balancing act with the symbols, and sometimes I overthink it. I'm starting to settle in and relax about placing them, after more than five years on the comic!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous10:06 PM

    I’m surprised that nobody commented (especially you and Dan) on your inclusion of Mr. Piraro in your Sunday ‘toon. Olive Oyl was a nod his way as well, but that was a little more obvious. Coincidentally, I was at Home Depot today and saw a man walking out with a dog skeleton. He was bragging that it was the last one, so I was crushed lol.
    Michael P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:15 PM

      Wayno here, unable to comment
      under my account for some reason:

      We can be sneaky sometimes. And forgetful.

      Delete
  11. I was the Jazz Pickle who sent you the Evil Snowman comic via X (twitter) @harritage.
    I thought you'd like it.

    Best wishes @ the upcoming National Cartoonists Society convention and your nomination in the Newspaper Panel division!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:15 PM

      Wayno here, unable to comment under my account for some reason:

      Thank you for the swell comic book cover image, and for the words of encouragement!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous9:55 PM

    Good luck on your award nomination at your upcoming convention.
    Like they say…and even if it does sound cheesy….”you’re already a winner”!!

    ReplyDelete