Saturday, July 01, 2023

Shakespeare by the Sea

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


Showing people how to make comics and tell their stories by drawing and writing things by hand on paper in a way that is nondigital, non-searchable, non-scrapeable, or monetizable now feels like something of a revolutionary act. Being a cartoonist and being recognized as a cartoonist means more to me now than it ever has.
Lynda Barry

The Lynda Barry quote is from 2018 when she was nominated for the National Cartoonists Society's Reuben Award as Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year, which she won.

Like many cartoonists, my process includes both analog and digital elements. These days, there's no way to completely avoid some measure of computer work in work that's going to be published in any form. It's still possible to retain an organic feel, which is something I strive for in my own work. 

I've had the great pleasure of meeting Lynda over the years. The first time was in 1989 or 1990. We were vacationing in New Orleans during JazzFest. Outside of the festival, we saw several famous people we admired at cafes, bookstores, and clubs. I'd say to my spouse, "Look! It's [name]! I love their [art, music, films, etc.]" Each time she'd tell me that I ought to say something, but I thought it would be intrusive and a little creepy to just go up to someone like that. 
 
Then, one afternoon I spotted Lynda walking toward us. I maintained my cool until a minute after she passed us, whenI turned and ran toward her, shouting, "Oh my god, it's Lynda Barry!" Despite suffering the aftereffects of food poisoning, she was sweet and kind to this babbling fanboy. I told her that I'd sent her some of my minicomix, and she said she remembered receiving them.

Lynda's comics and her work as an educator have inspired countless cartoonists for decades. If you're not familiar with her comics, seek them out. She's one of the best of all time, or to quote her friend, Matt Groening, "Lynda Barry is Funk Queen of the Universe."



Copyright © 2009 Tim Walker
 
Shortly after last week's post hit the web, several people sent me links to this pipe pic of the American Python, Terry Gilliam. Photographer Tim Walker is responsible for it, as well as similar shots of Terry Jones, Michael Palin, John Cleese, and Eric Idle. They were taken in 2009, which, sadly, was too late to include Graham Chapman, who died twenty years earlier.

My thanks to everyone who alerted me to the existence of these photos.



Being a cartoonist and being recognized as a cartoonist means more than ever to this practitioner, too. Here's the week's output from my Little Shop of Humor. 


One can well imagine the deterrent value of such an approach.


That's their answer to everything. 


Reactions to this gag reminded me that Bizarro's readers are both smart and funny. I received quite a few hilarious faux-Shakespeare comments on the various electronic platforms and enjoyed them all.


Artificial Intelligence may or may not bring about the end of humankind, but it's given cartoonists some fresh subject matter. Besides, the human race will most likely destroy itself long before the machines can take over. 

It's worth a try.


After Friday's downer of a gag, you deserve a silly cat cartoon.

That's the latest from Bizarro Studios North, where we're getting a taste of the future with air quality that is going back and forth from "unhealthy" to "very unhealthy." Who needs AI anyway?
 
Come visit us next week, if we're all still breathing.


Bonus Track

Lynda Barry: "I Got an Accordion"
From the CD The Lynda Barry Experience
(Gang of Seven, 1993)


When Lynda Barry visited Pittsburgh in 2008 to teach her Writing the Unthinkable workshop, she visited the (now defunct) ToonSeum, where I served as a board member. We couldn't decide whose glasses were nerdier.


We did a reboot of that photo at the 2017 Reuben Awards in Seattle.


11 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:34 PM

    Or maybe a romcom set in a dystopian future…¿?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have a future in the entertainment industry!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:47 PM

      Hahahahahaha

      Delete
  2. Michael Johnson, Prescott, AZ6:48 PM

    First, I'm a rapidly aging underground-comix fan, and I was glad to be able to hear the piece from Lynda Barry. Also, I too thought the surfbard cartoon was laugh-out loud funny. Like, kudos, dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MJ! Undergrounds were a huge influence on me too. They started popping up at just the right time to bend my pre-adolescent brain. I was already spending all of my time and money in record stores, which is where they were often sold.

      That whole Lynda Barry CD is great.

      Glad I made you laugh with the surfbard! You've made my day.

      Delete
  3. Does the Batman really play Cricket for the "Free Hugs" team? Or did they end up in Gaol ?
    I didn't know that "Mothra" needed his oxygen fed intravenously . . .
    Cowabunga!, Bill . . . Is it really "Summer's Eve" already . . or is that her name ?
    Is "Boba Fett" really a ChatBot? Or is that his and R2D2's love child ?
    Ah! . . . Human replicants watching "Bladerunner" and wondering where all the paper cranes in Hitchcock's "The Birds" came from . . .
    Do cats dream of "Air-BNB" sheep ?
    Lynda . . . So where's "Weird Al" when you REALLY needed him ?
    Two pictures . . .So, which one is hanging on a wall in the basement, getting older ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of the comments. You're obviously a close reader who does a lot of thinking. My kind of comics reader!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:49 AM

    What happened to the 1978 passport photo you mentioned in the email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in a sealed file in a secure location.

      Delete
  5. Loved the Linda Berry story! Sweet photos of you guys too. Nothing like getting to be friends with your heroes and sheroes ♥️🥂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The newer phot was from a National Cartoonists Society awards weekend in Portland, OR. One of the panels was Lynda being interviewed by her old pal Matt Groening. Most of the attendees were more a part of the newspaper comics world, and weren't familiar with Lynda or her work. It was beautiful to be there and see a whole roomful of people fall in love with her.

      Delete