Saturday, April 01, 2023

Strange Brew

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


Ya never too hot, never too cold
never too young, never too old
never too skinny, never too fat
never too dis, never too dat
ya just where ya are
& dat's where it's at.
 
Malcolm Rebbenack, aka Dr. John


Last week's post opened with some dark song lyrics, reflecting the disgust I felt (and still do) toward the portion of our citizenry who are working to infect everyone's children with their bigotry and willful ignorance.
 
Thankfully, a few days ago, I came across this quote from one of my musical heroes. I'd seen it in the past, but it popped up just when I needed to see it. In his inimitable style, Dr. John expressed a message of love, inclusion, and acceptance of all. Thank you, Mac.
 
This week's pipe pic is a cool shot of painter, animator and inventor Myles Stenshoel.
Myles is holding two Perispectives, which are 360ยบ photographs taken using a special tripod he invented. The photo comes to us courtesy of Stenshoel's son Peter, a good friend of Bizarro. Peter tells us that his family's home had Perispectives displayed as mobiles. A deep bow and a tip of the Bizarro porkpie to Peter for sharing the photo and memories of his father.

Let's review the week's cartoons for any signs of inventiveness.

A good salesperson knows what's important to their customers.
 
When I sketched the idea for this gag, I had the eye doctor saying something like, "Now try reading it using your other lump." Although "lump" is a funny-sounding word, the drawing works without dialog or a caption. It feels like an accomplishment to come up with a wordless comic, even if one doesn't immediately realize it.

The strip layout allowed for additional space between the doctor and patient.

  
The restaurant's tagline is Just Like Mom Used to Spew.


Another fad diet is disproved.



I haven't checked the data, but the number of potato-headed characters appearing in Bizarro may be approaching cowboy or caveman levels.

When we uploaded this one, our hardworking editors at King Features let me know that I'd incorrectly spelled the name as "Scottie." Thanks to Jennifer and Ealish at the Editorial office for sparing me embarrassment and preventing a nerd backlash.



To multiply or to divide, that is the question.

Sometimes I include a fake Secret Symbol count in the signature on April Fools' Day. This year I converted the actual count to dog symbols.

 


Beer Here!

I'm happy to share another of the many labels I designed for my good friends at Pittsburgh's East End Brewing Company.

This beer was named after a song on Captain Beefheart's 1972 LP, The Spotlight Kid, in part because it was a smoked lager, and if I recall correctly, the brewer working on it resembled the Captain in his younger years.

In keeping with that theme, the label drawing was an homage to Beefheart's groundbreaking Trout Mask Replica album.

The Trout Mask cover was designed and photographed by Cal Schenkel.


Bonus Track

Captain Beefheart: "Diddy Wah Diddy"
A&M Records, 1966



The Magic Band's killer version of the Willie Dixon/Bo Diddley number was produced by David Gates, who later gained fame as the leader of the (extremely) soft rock group Bread ("Baby I'm-a Want You.")


More Bizarro Stuff

Dan Piraro's Bizarro Blog
Dan's Sunday Bizarro page, comics commentary, and something extra

 Wayno's Bizarro Newsletter
A supplement to the blog, with a peek at an upcoming gag and a graphic image from my past

Dan Piraro's epic, award-winning surreal western graphic novel
 

I believe I've covered everything on my list for this week, and dat's where it's at.

Please drop by again next week. Thanks for your readership and support.
 

Copyright© 2023 by Wayno®



 




 



9 comments:

  1. Drakesden1:37 PM

    Hi Wayno! I'm a little curious ... the Tuesday eye chart isn't quite a random list of letters, is it? Maybe one way to get "CBD" into a daily comic strip? Piraro sometimes features rebuses in his comics, and I'm just wondering if the strain I'm putting into finding words in there is intended ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I modeled that on a 1950s Snellen vision chart, which had CB on the first line and DLF on the second. I think the current eye charts are different. The Snellen chart didn't have the 02.

      I sometimes throw odd things in, but that wasn't the case here. I love readers who pay attention to details, though!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:39 PM

      And here I thought it was a slightly scrambled reference to CBLDF (the comic book legal defense fund).

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:41 PM

    Wayno -- thanks for doing what you do! Dr. John is one of my favorite musicians, too. I strongly believe that the world needs more Dr. John. And The Meters too. Have you read Dr. John's autobiography "Under the Hoodoo Moon"? A friend recommended it to me a few years ago and it is a true gem of a book. I love Dr. John's, um, interpretation of the English language; his Dr. John-isms. I will occasionally drop his word aggrevationary into conversation (when appropriate) and see how people react. Oddly, most folks don't say a thing. Thanks again for sharing your humor with the world. - Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer: I read Dr. John's book a long time ago, and I think it's time to revisit it. I was fortunate to see him perform many times, here in Pittsburgh, and in New Orleans, and I love his turrn on language too. My bandmate Tom and I often use the word "confusement."

      We've learned some great tunes from the Good Doctor too, and we regularly play "Such a Night," "Travelin' Mood" and "Let's Make a Better World."

      Thank you for the kind note. Keep on keepin' on.

      PS: The Meters were the KINGS!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Thank you --

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:36 PM

    Thank you for explaining the snow person reading the eye chart cartoon. When it printed in my local paper, there was no caption so I was worried that the paper forgot to print it. They have “technical issues” sometimes with the plant that prints the paper. I went online to King Features, found the cartoon, and realized it was supposed to not have a caption.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the one eyed snowman is brilliant, with or without the lump. Remembered it from yesterdays reception when I scrolled across this top van Gogh pipe pic. Probably already used. But others may not have been
    Best wishes
    (Trouble Everyday vs Subterranean Homesick Blues-for instance)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:28 PM

    The picture looks like the model for JR "Bob" Dobbs, Church of the Subgenius

    ReplyDelete