Saturday, April 08, 2023

Comfort Food

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


Perfection is finally attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I recently encountered this quote from the French aviator, poet, journalist, and writer best known as the author of The Little Prince. I've seen the same idea expressed by many other artists and writers, and I try to apply it to my art. It's sometimes difficult but is always at least worth considering.

This week, as I was about to upload a batch of comics, I stopped and tweaked a word balloon, trimming twelve words down to seven. I had to change all four files for that day (color panel, color strip, black & white panel, and black & white strip) which was slightly painful, but it improved the gag.

When my musical trio learns and rehearses new material, we often talk about leaving spaces for silence in the arrangements.

These insights aren't revolutionary. I mention them mostly as reminders for myself.

Our pipe pic for the week is a vintage graphic from Finland.

Sometimes the Rule of Three beats the philosophy of brevity, as in this fine design. I do wonder what the word "impregnated" means regarding safety matches.


As we review the week's Bizarro comics, let's see if there's anything I should have left out.


Suzanne P, a Facebook friend asked if the Inquisitor shown was the Archbishop of Cadbury, which made me laugh.


Tuesday's gag is based on the real-world phenomenon of crows learning that scarecrows are usually located near food. It's mentioned in Mary Roach's informative and funny book Fuzz: When Nature Breaks the Law.
 
 
Speaking of real-world conditions, this optometrist adapted vision testing to the way many people read.


Hasbro is proud to introduce Mister Reassuring Head.


As usual, my favorite gag is in the Friday slot. I have an affinity for using inanimate objects as characters in Bizarro. I especially like to draw them simply as the objects they are, without adding human-like features. I may have been partly influenced by Ernie Kovacs.

I was also pleased with the strip layout.

We wrapped up the week with what might be called an optical pun. When the caption is read aloud, "faster" doesn't sound close enough to "Easter" to qualify as a pun. However, the reader's default mode network might initially process the caption as "The Easter Bunny," before noticing the word substitution. It's an unusual form of wordplay, whatever it's called.


Beer Here!

Because someone asked, here's another beer label design from my archives.

Our pals at East End Brewing Company made and bottled this delicious beer three times, and we changed the label's color palette for each batch.

Back in 2012, I shared all three versions, along with concept sketches on this very blog.


Bonus Track

The Hoffman Brothers: "Unbroken But Blue"
From the album All Ears (2023)

 

I’m fortunate to have many friends who are excellent musicians. Some even let me perform with them, though I'm an advanced beginner at best.

The Hoffman Brothers (Gary, Mark, and Jeff) are veteran Pittsburgh musicians and educators. Mark is an old friend with whom I've had memorable adventures, including a trip to New York to see the Residents on their Cube-E tour. Many years ago, I was in a short-lived band with Gary and was in awe of his powerful drumming and singing. I don't know Jeff, but I know he comes from good stock.

This new song is a beautifully crafted piece of guitar-based vocal pop and has become my latest earworm, which I now share with you.



Alternate Bizarro Locations

Dan Piraro's Bizarro Blog
Dan's Sunday page, plus comics commentary and a reminder that it's not cool to steal someone else's work

 Wayno's Bizarro Newsletter
A supplement to the blog, with a peek at an upcoming gag and a graphic image from my past

Dan "Diego" Piraro's epic, award-winning surreal Western graphic novel
 

Thanks for stopping by and reading more words than are probably necessary. I hope you'll visit us again next week.
 

Copyright© 2023 by Wayno®



 



24 comments:

  1. I don't imagine I'm the only person to tell you this, but when you get that temporary Apple TV+ subscription, be sure to watch Ted Lasso.

    My wife and I started watching Severence because we loved Adam Scott in Party Down and Parks & Recreation. It ended up being one of our all-time favorite shows. Every aspect of it is so well-done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, Severance is well-done.

      Delete
  2. In How The Mind Works, by Steven Pinker, he mentions an academic study where shape gets perceived faster than colour...you may take your foot off the gas when you mistake the roof sign on a taxi for a cop car bubble. So your Faster/Easter joke may have a name like reference in that or similar visual perception studies. The Archbishop of Cadbury indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s fascinating about shape versus color. I will look into Pinker’s book.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the recommendation. I just got the Pinker book from the library. It’s a heavy volume!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:01 PM

    Thanks for giving this Bizarro linker a larger-rounded educational status with your faceted blog including the musical triviata (this word actually came up in my keyboard prompter) lol
    Very un-boring newsletter and blog..... I rest my comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:09 PM

    When I think of “Liquid Paper”, I can’t help but think of Mike Nesmith’s mom, who I believe was credited as being the stuff’s inventor… unless I dreamed that, or made it up for cocktail patter…

    —Gunnar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bette Nesmith did indeed invent Liquid Paper, so you aren’t imagining it, Gunnar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Heresy" . . . "The Cardinal of Gear-Are-Dilly" . . . it's all in the spelling

      Delete
    2. "Safety" matches are "impregnated" (the non-sexual way) with gunpowder... Doesn't sound so "safe" to me... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match

      Delete
    3. Vanno, I would’ve gotten into trouble if we had impregnated matches when I was a young’un.

      Delete
  6. Kevin green12:19 AM

    In the same vein as ‘heresy’, I’ve always referred to a certain orange hardware store as ‘home despot’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kevin! I used ”Home Despot” in a gag a few years ago.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:50 PM

      I just realized that it is “Heresy” bar. My brain read it as “Hershey” so I didn’t get the joke. Now I get it!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous9:37 AM

    In the same vein as ‘Heresy’ I've always referred to a certain orange store hardware store chain as ‘Home Despot’.
    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pointer to The Hoffman Brothers! And your cartoons aren't bad, either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:46 PM

    I don't understand why the guy is sitting on the toilet in the optometrist cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty well explained,
      in his comments below that gag. Attesting to "the way many people read". Here was his comments: "Speaking of real-world conditions, this optometrist adapted vision testing to the way many people read."

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:48 PM

      Ah, thank you for the clarification, duh! I know people read in when they are that location. I don’t, so I forgot about it.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous11:05 PM

    Impregnated with wax.
    The little paper matchsticks are waxy to better burn.
    They're still pretty delicate & cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:34 PM

    liquid paper, aka whiteout, has a cameo in one of many brilliantly funny songs from the 80’s. i am sure you have heard this, but king missile’s “take stuff from work,” includes the lyrics “steal a case of whiteout: you’ll never know when you’ll need it.” great week and blog, again, wayno. love the songs you add each week…. so. much. good. music.

    peace,
    brian pelton

    ReplyDelete
  12. The posting of the guy poised on his 'throne' was fun. I was also relieved (pardon the pun) that he was sitting on the lid and didn't have his pants around his ankles, even though that's how I would be portrayed while reading my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:37 PM

    I returned looking for my original comment, disappointed I don't see it, was looming for a reply. I guess it didn't pass review or was washed out by liquid paper. May I request resurrection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I don’t believe I deleted any comments. Sorry yours seems to have evaporated!

      Delete