Saturday, November 05, 2022

Tropical Surrealism

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend, Dan Piraro, who created Bizarro in the late twentieth century, continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


Greetings from unseasonably warm and sunny Hollywood Gardens, PA. We're doing a quick blog today so we can enjoy the sunshine and take down the Halloween decor.

Since Tuesday was Day of the Dead, our pipe pic is a skull-headed character, who may or may not be related to the mysterious figure in the Peyote Cowboy graphic novel.

I took a break from the cartoon studio on Wednesday, and went into the recording studio with my bandmates. We managed to get fifteen numbers down, and will be going back next week to clean things up and add some spice to the raw recordings. I'll try to get a couple of photos for the next post. 

For now, we'll take a look at the week in Bizarro.




My subtitle for this one is "Soothsayers, Unite."

Newspaper presses may have needed a few extra gallons of black ink thanks to the strip layout.

René Magritte's Son of Man, standing in for the artist himself, returned to Bizarro on Tuesday. Since Magritte's work inspired the Pipe of Ambiguity Secret Symbol, it also made an appearance.

I apologize to any readers who were scratching their heads in response to Wednesday's gag, and I tip my hat to those who pondered it long enough to find the punchline in the caption box.

Sometimes our devices can seem a bit too smart.

Your cartoonist uses subtitles for most television viewing, so rest assured that this cartoon wasn't meant to belittle any person or group.


Someone's had enough outside-the-box thinking.


This particular sporting goods dealer goes the extra parsec to assist a customer.

Readers whose newspapers carry the strip layout didn't get to see the tentacles I labored over, but they had a clearer view of the background joke on the shelves, and got a (very small) Inverted Bird in place of the Pie of Opportunity.

That's the latest from Bizarro Studios North. Thanks, as always, for dropping by.

For additional diversion, please feel free to visit our related sites.

Dan Piraro's Bizarro Blog
Dan's latest Bizarro Sunday page, and whatever else is occupying his thoughts at the moment

Wayno's Bizarro Newsletter
News from your cartoonist, a peek at an upcoming gag, and a graphic artifact from my files

Dan Piraro's award-winning graphic novel

Next week's post might also be on the skimpy side, as I have some travel scheduled, and Google's Blogger platform is even less stable when writing a post on a tablet or phone. Please bear with me.



Bonus Track

Jimmy Heap: "Gismo"
Dart Records single, 1959

When I was in sixth grade, our homeroom had an activity where students could bring a favorite record, which the teacher would play for the class on a beat-up Crosley suitcase player. A classmate named John Macek shared this one, and for weeks I begged him to sell or trade it to me, to no avail.

I eventually acquired a copy, which is long gone, but it turned up on a 2008 compilation CD that collected songs made popular in Pittsburgh by legendary DJ "Mad Mike" Metrovich.

The song was stuck in my head this week, and I took that as a sign to share it with readers of the blog.

Thanks, John Macek, wherever you are.

Copyright© 2022 by Wayno®

 

16 comments:

  1. Fab!! This was a gr8 newsletter!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pteredactyl took me a couple reads to get and then admire.

    Did you miss your November 3rd comic with the couple's therapy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did miss that one! Thanks for catching it. I've updated the post.

      Delete
  3. Gismo needs more cowbell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:33 PM

    Love the record! What kind of music do you play with your band? Is it anything like this zany jazz?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We call what we play "rockin' rhythm & jazz."

      The band is called The Red Beans & Rice Combo, and you can hear us on the usual streaming services. Our first album is called "Let the Joy Begin."

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:09 PM

      Cool! I found your page on the Tom Roberts Piano site and watched some of your videos. Very fun combo and I love your selection of music. I play some rockabilly as well under the band name Mystery Hillbillies, which is me and a team of sidemen. We also do vintage country, boogie, and hillbilly swing.

      Delete
    3. I've been checking out the Mystery Hillbillies videos! Great performances, and your song selection is impeccable. Wanda jackson, Davis Sisters, Slim Harpo, Big Al Anderson... Great stuff! Hope I can catch you live sometime!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5:42 PM

    Is that a secret-symbol pipe on the shelf to the left of the sporting goods guy (in the panel)? Just wondering, as I usually have to hunt around some to catch them all. --- And thanks for the chuckles this week and every week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a Pipe of Ambiguity, ad you correctly guessed. Thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:22 AM

    As always, a fun retrospective of the week - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU. Glad you enjoyed the stuff!

      Delete
  7. AMMO CAMO WHAMMO BLAMMO!

    ReplyDelete