Saturday, November 12, 2022

Duck & Cover

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend, Dan Piraro, who created Bizarro in the late twentieth century, continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


Enjoy your free-range, cumin-infused, cayenne-dusted heirloom reduction. Sometimes it’s just better to have a BLT and be done with it.
Bob Dylan,
The Philosophy of Modern Song

This entry is being composed on Tuesday, and I'm depending on Google's scheduled publishing feature to have it online Saturday morning. At that time, I'll be somewhere between New York and Pittsburgh, after attending Thursday evening's memorial tribute to legendary comix artist and editor Diane Noomin, who died on September 1.

In lieu of a pipe pic this week, we're sharing these 1980 photos of Diane dressed as her most well known comix character, DiDi Glitz.

Photos by Bill Griffith

Here's to Diane (and DiDi). Thanks for all of the great work over the years.


The quote at the top of this post is from Mr. Dylan's new book, The Philosophy of Modern Song. I've not read the book yet, but I already had it on my list when I saw those wise words in a New York Times review on Tuesday. I don't think I should add a thing to them as commentary.

Instead, let's review my latest Bizarro comics.

I liked the fact that Monday's joke only works when one reads it silently and sees the alternate spellings of the name. Heard aloud, it's just weird. Which is also okay.


Karaoke can bring out the worst in anyone. This patron might occasionally switch to Ducks Deluxe or Nick Drake.

He won't give in to pier pressure.

And don't even try to deposit that thing using an ATM.


Dickens was known to do public readings of his works, initially for charity, and later on for his own profit. I found a few drawings of him performing, most of which showed a table with a block supporting the book, a container of water, and a towel, similar to what we see in the comic.

The image searches also turned up several photos of the author's handwritten manuscripts, and I digitally reduced two of them to use as the pages shown above.

We're not above a silly pun now and then, as long as it's surprising and we can create an amusing drawing to go along with it.

That's the latest from Bizarro Studios North. Thanks, as always, for dropping by. I'm crossing my fingers that by Saturday morning this entry will be posted online, and our democracy still be intact.

For more words about pictures, check out our related sites.

Dan Piraro's Bizarro Blog
Dan's latest Bizarro Sunday page, with thoughtful and fascinating musings from Rancho Bizarro

Wayno's Bizarro Newsletter
Scuttlebutt from Bizarro Studios North, with a peek at an upcoming gag, and a graphic artifact from the past

Dan Piraro's award-winning graphic novel


Bonus Track

Good Tone Banjo Boys: "Ducks Yas Yas"
Good Tone Records 78 rpm, 1972



The Good Time Banjo Boys were a precursor to Robert Crumb's later band, the Cheap Suit Serenaders, and featured Crumb on vocals and banjo. The song, by an unknown writer, was first recorded in the late 1920s by James "Stump" Johnson.

Its availability as a karaoke track cannot be definitively confirmed.

Copyright© 2022 by Wayno®

 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:08 AM

    This is the best song yet! I'm going to listen t it all through the day - thank you for starting my day with a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a delightful tune, isn't it!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Sorry to hear about Diane. I wasn't a reader, but a close friend was a fan of Twisted Sisters.

    About that drake duck: as one educated in ornithology I can say with some certainty that that is a mallard hybrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane was a pioneer, and a terrific cartoonist and editor. The November 20th Zippy paid tribute to her in a beautiful, understated comic.

      Delete
  3. I had to google the lyrics of "Ducks Yas Yas" and another version came up, by Tampa Red, the lyrics were laid out differently, and a few more verses were provided, that being said, I loved the Banjo licks . . Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. REALLY appreciate the extra effort you went to for the Dickens panel. Little touches like that, invisible unless you know, really frill my cravat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, SG! I truly appreciate hearing from someone who pays attention to the little details, and who has such a fine vocabulary.

      Delete