Saturday, September 28, 2024

Almost Sort of Super

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


I want to be a force for real good. In other words, I know that there are bad forces, forces that bring suffering to others and misery to the world, but I want to be the opposite force. I want to be the force which is truly for good.
John Coltrane

Monday, September 23 was the 98th anniversary of the birth of John William Coltrane. He left this plane at the age of forty, and he recorded his best-known work over a short period of twelve years.

Fortunately for us, he was recorded extensively in those twelve years, and his large body of work is endlessly inspiring.

Do yourself a favor and check out some of Coltrane's many recordings. He was a musical explorer and innovator, and his vast catalog is a treasure.

He made the world a better place.



Today's pipe pic is quite special, and I'm grateful to our friend Becky B. for sending us this family photo.



Becky shared this story:

When a teenage girl in a romantic phase, I once asked my mother if she recalled any specific moment in which, of my father, she thought, "I’d like to marry this guy." Alas, she could not recall ever having had such a moment. But she added that if ever she did think that, it probably would have been sometime when they were sailing.

 

Fast forward thirty years. When going through some of her personal effects, I found this circa 1940 photo. My sentimental self has decided that someone did, indeed, capture the moment that I had described. And, how extra special: While my memories of my father have his smoking limited to cigarettes, he’s sporting a pipe!

 

I hope that you enjoy its story.

 

Please pardon the partial coffee cup ring on the pic. My 1950s-1960s youth included a household of adults non-stop smoking & drinking coffee. But it was a home filled with music, literature (especially cartoons), lively conversations, and love. I was phenomenally blessed.


Notes like Becky's remind me again that Bizarro has a wonderful community of readers. By the way, I think the coffee ring adds to the photo's charm.



After remembering Coltrane, and reading that lovely memory from our friend, here are some of my silly drawings and words.


They aren't the flashiest, but their powers are impressive.



And before Artificial Intelligence, we copied people's art using tracing paper.


Shortly after I uploaded my "finished" week of gags, I noticed that I had undercounted the Secret Symbols in this panel and placed a "4" next to the signature. Once again I was saved by my hardworking editors.


The manbaby in Thursday's panel is dressed like Oswald "Stinky" Davis, a character from The Abbott and Costello Show, portrayed by comedic actor Joe Besser. He was known for whiny catchphrases like, "Not so harrrrrd!" and, "You crazy, you!"

After Shemp Howard died in 1955, Besser spent a couple years as the "Third Stooge," playing a variation of Stinky in adult clothing.

Besser had a clause in his Three Stooges contract that prohibited "being hit excessively." Because he was already a featured film performer when he joined the Stooges, he was paid more than Moe Howard and Larry Fine.

Besser is one of the less popular Stooges, but in fairness, the mighty Shemp was a hard act to follow.


I do a lot of caveman gags and enjoy drawing them. This one was a bonus, because I found an unusual angle on the "evolving fish" cartoon trope, and could do it without actually drawing a fish making the move to dry land.

I usually place the strongest gag of the week in the Friday slot, and this one was my favorite by far.


Apologies to people named Stu. I'm sure you've heard jokes made about your name before. I meant no disrespect by creating this panel.


In fact, I only did it because it was an easy one to convert to the strip layout.


Self-Promotion


We haven't received any photos of readers wearing Bizarro t-shirts this week, so I'm forced to use a hotel room selfie.




I was a little excited here because I was wearing one of the first Irön Bunnies shirts to make it out into the world.


Get Yours! All three Bizarro tees, available in various colors, can be ordered from the Comics Kingdom Shop. 


If you’d like to be a Bizarro spokesmodel, send your picture (and a testimonial if you like) to WaynoCartoons(at)gmail(dot)com.


By sending your photo, you permit us to share it online. Readers will be identified by first name only. Whether you send a picture or not, we truly appreciate your purchase of Bizarrowear.


Please don't make me take another one of myself.




That wraps up yet another week of cartoon shenanigans.


Thank you for reading Bizarro and supporting the art of cartooning.


See you next week.




Bonus Track

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
"In a Sentimental Mood"
From the LP, Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
Impulse Records, 1963



The first thing I noticed upon hearing this collaboration many years ago was the interplay between Coltrane's saxophone and Ellington's piano. After the fourth or fifth time I listened, I was floored by the complex, shifting rhythm patterns of drummer Elvin Jones. 

The quality of this YouTube video may not be up to snuff, and I recommend listening in the highest fidelity format available to you.

Since we opened with a nod to Coltrane's birthday and the lovely sentiments of our friend's photo of her parents, this recording seemed fitting.



A Bounteous Bunch of Bizarro Baubles 


  

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine liked to frequent conferences and meetings back in the day when self stick name badges were mandatory. He loved to make up funny names just in case his name was selected for a door prize. One of my fav funny names was "Stu Baudasso".

    ReplyDelete