Saturday, March 30, 2024

Habeas Lepus

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


I’m a great believer in conversation as part of the artistic process.
Pete Townshend

I was delighted to find this quote from a favorite musician in a recent New York Times interview.

I'll keep today's intro brief, and offer thanks to Mr. Townshend for justifying my penchant for talking about the ins and outs of making comics. Oh, and gratitude to all who read the blog and newsletter. Your comments and questions are always welcome.



I don't remember where I found today's pipe pic, but Easter weekend is the perfect time to share it.



I believe the image came from a children's book. If you recognize it and know the source, please send a comment so I can credit the artist. And let me know if they're about to play tennis or go snowshoeing.

UPDATE: Some knowledgeable readers (see the comments section) have identified the artist as Lowell Hess (1912-2014). Hess was a prolific illustrator with an appealing mid-century Little Golden Book style as exemplified by the charming bunnies shown above (from the book My Christmas Treasury). While searching for examples of his work, I also found several wonderful two-color images that remind me of some Charley Harper illustrations. He was no slouch when it came to caricatures, either.

Thanks to the Bizarro community for hipping me to Lowell Hess.



Let's see if any bunnies turn up in this week's gags.



The childhood hours I spent watching Fractured Fairy Tales cartoons paid off with this gag, although it's more of a reality tale.


The Amazon Prime business model's influence continues to expand.


Ben Franklin said, "[i]n this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes," so Death paying taxes seemed a likely occurrence.


Side effects of this treatment may include hallucinations and a 1960s earworm.


Your cartoonist was on an Easter egg roll when writing gags in February, as evidenced by the second bunny panel in a row


In fact, we pulled off an Easter Bunny hat trick with three consecutive rabbit gags. You know how they multiply.

And that wraps up another round of cartoons from yours truly. Thanks for your kind attention. 


Please stop by next week to check out our April Fools' Week offerings.



Bonus Track

Wendy Rene: "Bar B Q"
Stax Records, 1964



The arrival of sunny spring weather makes me think of outdoor cooking and this catchy number by soul singer Wendy Rene.


Looking for more Bizarro? Here you go.



  

14 comments:

  1. Dena Mattausch8:43 AM

    Pipe-smokin' Papa bunny appears to be the work of illustrator Lowell Hess (1921 - 2014), though which book remains elusive.
    https://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/02/appeal-1-starting-with-cuteness-as-1st.html
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/703756166621533/
    https://mikelynchcartoons.blogspot.com/2014/12/lowell-hess-rip.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:00 AM

    ^^The only way this page'll let me submit a Comment is as "Anonymous." (Attempts with my "Dena Mattausch" Google account were only my FIRST fails of the day, I'm sure . . .) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But, yeh, Lowell Hess illustrated children's books published by Simon & Schuster in the Fifties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:37 AM

      Ah, initial Comment DID submit usin' my Google account. Never mind! `\_( • •)_/`

      Delete
    2. Dena, thanks for the leas on the artist!

      Comments do not appear on the blog until I review them. I have that setting on to prevent all of the spam comments that show up advertising crap. I usually log in to review comments about once a day. I do review them all, so when you don't see it right away, that's because I haven't reviewed them yet.

      Also, depending on which browser I use, Blogger may or may not let me comment using my Google account, even though I'm logged it! It works on Chrome, but Firefox only recognizes me as "Anonymous" when commenting.

      There's a lot of weird behavior with the Blogger platform, which is why I considered doing everything on Substack.

      Thank you for participating!

      Delete
    3. This tweet seems to think it's from "My Christmas Treasury" (1957)
      https://twitter.com/lapinblancuk/status/944131667861663745

      And the art looks very similar to this listing for that book:
      https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/christmas-treasury-1957-lgb-72-pages-487628452

      Delete
    4. Dena Mattausch7:44 AM

      Aargh, the vagaries of the Internet. THANK YOU for 'splainin', Wayno! (Yeh, I won't try to use "Google account" from the "Comment as" dropdown again; it takes you to a page where you're prompted to create your OWN blog . . . then all hell'd break loose.) Anyhow, I dig your artistry and wikkid humor SO MUCH that checking this blog is one of the first things I do Saturday mornings. I occasionally compete with a Facebook friend obsessed with findin' the Secret Symbols. Gotta say, you're pretty sneaky there, Pal . . .

      Delete
    5. Dena:

      Yes, technology likes to mess with us.

      Thanks for ID'ing Lowell Hess! I wasn't familiar with his name, but I've certainly encountered his work in the past.

      Delete
    6. Thank you, Totty! Great detective work!

      Delete
  3. Eagarly awaiting the return of the IBoD! Rock On!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judi!

      I wonder of IBoD t-shirts would sell?

      Delete
  4. occurrences of occurence are quite rare ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! Thanks for spotting that typo, tennisjazz. I've corrected it, and have notified spellcheck to run things by you in the future!

      Delete
  5. Dena Mattausch1:21 PM

    The good news: There's a book.
    The bad news: It's out-of-print, rare, and not available anywhere except . . .
    https://www.ebay.com/p/123176339

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that listing and thought I'd order it until I saw the price! It looks beautiful.

      Delete