Saturday, February 17, 2024

A Day Late and a Doubloon Short

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


I'm not sure, but I'm almost positive that all music came from New Orleans.
Ernie K-Doe

Tuesday was Mardi Gras, and I hope those who celebrated have recovered by now. I've been to New Orleans many times over the decades but have never attended its most famous annual event. I do love much of the city's music, from its earliest roots to the present day, and I hope to visit again in years to come.

Although Ernie K-Doe's words aren't literally true, the music of New Orleans has profoundly influenced innumerable artists and genres. 

K-Doe's biggest hit was "Mother-in-Law," but he had a long career and made a ton of terrific records. He was an over-the-top character and is the subject of an entertaining biographyErnie K-Doe: The R&B Emperor of New Orleans, by Ben Sandmel.

He was fond of crazy catchphrases, often shouting,  "Burn, K-Doe, Burn!" on stage or while DJing on community radio. For a while, he referred to himself as "Mister Naugahyde," until the trademark owner issued a cease and desist order. Ernie explained that it was a simple misunderstanding and that he was actually calling himself "Mister Ma-Nauga-Ma-Hyde." He later adopted the title "Emperor of the Universe."

He may have been lurking in your cartoonist's brain to inspire one of last week's cartoons.



Today's pipe pic comes to us from Stephen R., a good friend of Bizarro.


It's a pensive photo of Winnie-the-Pooh's creator, A. A. Milne.

Thanks to Stephen R. for adding a literary touch to the blog.



Now, a look at our most recent cartoons, including, naturally enough, a New Orleans-inspired gag.



Monday's panel comes from an unpublished cartoon book, Zen and the Art of Sesame Seeds.


Music finds its way into another Bizarro comic with this tribute to the legendary Muddy Waters. 


For the first time, I've done a Mardi Gras gag after the holiday.


Thursday's comic reminds us that things we learned in grade school can serve us well into adulthood. 


They wrote an original number called "Papa's Got a Brown New Bag."

As I write this post, I notice that I colored a little bit outside of the panel borders. That's rather embarrassing, and I promise it won't happen again.


Saturday's caption can be read as a joke or simply a description of the objects in the panel.

Well, my friends, that's the latest output from Bizarro Studios North. I hope you got a few chuckles from my scribbles. Please stop by again next week for another batch.



Bonus Track

Homer & Jethro: "The Bagel Song"
From the album Somethin' Stupid
RCA Records, 1967





Additional Bizarro Sources

If you like what we do and appreciate that it comes to you free of charge, we encourage you to explore any or all of the following links. 

Many thanks!


Wayno's Weekly Newsletter

@WaynoCartoons on Instagram

Dan Piraro's Weekly Bizarro Blog

Subscribe to The Naked Cartoonist 

Dan's Tip Jar (One-time or recurring)

Dan "Diego" Piraro's Peyote Cowboy Graphic Novel

Official Bizarro Shop

King Features Subscription & Archive Access




Copyright© 2024 by Wayno®  



  

14 comments:

  1. Michael Johnson12:16 PM

    A good day: A remarkably accurate portrait of Muddy Waters and an account of Homer and Jethro at a bar-mitzvah. Back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! I studied several photos of Muddy at various ages to work up my caricature.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:42 PM

    Should I assume Waters was muddying the waters at an event where BB King was BBQing? The grill is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a heck of a backyard barbecue!

      Delete
  3. Will the upcoming extra day in Feb wreck havoc with your boxed stacks? How have you handled this phenomenon every four years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the question, MissDannimac. Fortunately, my numbering system is ridiculously simple, and calendar-agnostic, so I avoid any leap-year agita.

      Delete
  4. Jane Tredway10:37 PM

    I am 86, and listening to H & J took me back to the 50's and WCKY Cincinatti 1, Ohio. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, thanks for the note, and sharing your memories of WCKY!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:29 PM

    Thanks for the bagel 'toon and tune! Here's one in trade-back from the always-masterful Slim Gaillard & Co. -- "Dunkin' Bagel":

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntUNRiC5-z0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We LOVE Slim Gaillard 'round here! A great tune!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3:14 AM

    I LOVE paper jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was fun to draw. I should have saved my photo reference selfies to share!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:35 PM

    Dang, now I want a bagel with cream cheese and lox!

    ReplyDelete