Saturday, May 13, 2023

The Universal Language

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


Once I was invited to pose naked for a men's magazine and I replied that I would, but with three conditions: dressed as a nun, without glasses and without bangs. That was my idea of nudity. 
Rita Lee (1947-2023)

The entertaining, witty, revolutionary Brazilian musician Rita Lee died this week at age 75. It was a bit of a surprise to read a lengthy obituary in the New York Times since she wasn't widely known here in the US.

With her two brothers, she founded the band Os Mutantes in 1966, and after five albums, launched a solo career in 1972. I first heard Os Mutantes sometime in the late 80s or early 90s, as part of a music nerd network who swapped homemade cassette compilations through the mail. They sounded sort of psychedelic, a bit electronic, heavy, weird and otherworldly. They sang in Portuguese, which I don't speak, so I heard the voices as purely musical instruments. I had to hear more of this stuff, and was never disappointed.

In 1998, David Byrne compiled a selection of the band's music, released as Everything is Possible!—The Best of Os Mutantes. The collection is a fine entry point, but nearly everything Lee recorded, with Os Mutantes and as a solo artist is worth exploring.

The album Tecnicolor (recorded in 1970, but not released until 2000) is also an excellent place to start. It included new material, and rerecorded versions of songs from their first two LPs, with vocals in English, French, and Portuguese. The English language version of their 1968 song, "Baby" is a favorite. Bebel Gilberto released a cover version of "Baby" in 2012, with a nearly identical arrangement.

One of the joys of music is the fact that there's always more to discover. Rita Lee's obituary reminded me to revisit these unique recordings. If you've been turned on to music you never heard before, drop your recommendations in the comments section. We'd love to hear about the music that surprised and delighted you.


Our pipe pic this time is a bit of a mystery to me. I found it online but failed to record where it came from.
 
A Google image search yielded no matches, only a selection of black and white silhouettes of people in profile, all without a pipe.
 
I have a vague, possibly false memory that it might be associated with surrealist Marcel Duchamp. He was often photographed with a pipe, and created some art featuring pipes.

If you recognize this photo and know anything about it, please post in the comments.


A pipe or two may have turned up among this week's Bizarro panels. Let's have a look.
We opened with a retelling of Hansel and Gretel in Franglais.
 
As a member of the United Cartoon Workers of America, I'm required to do at least one desert island gag per year.

When I share Bizarro gags on social media, I usually include a short phrase related to the image. When I drew the May 1 panel, I thought of the phrase "cosmetic carpentry" to accompany the cartoon but decided that it could be used in a separate gag. After doing photo research for the drawing, I applied for hazardous duty pay.
 
The executioner can also light the prisoner's last cigarette.


Sometimes a writing session yields more than one usable idea from a single premise or character. I wrote this one at the same time as last month's Humpty Dumpty gag. Since the drawings of HD were so similar, I let a few weeks pass between them. 

The next time that happens, I might consider running related jokes two days in a row.

We're not above using puns here at Bizarro Studios, if we find them to be surprising and funny.

I used mirror images of the panel's elements for the strip layout, for those interested in the nuts and bolts of Bizarro.


Beer Here!

This label is a fine example of a punning beer name.
 
In addition to making many delicious beers, my friends at East End Brewing Company inspired a recent gag.


Bonus Track

Os Mutantes: "A Minha Menina"
From the LP Os Mutantes
Polydor Records (Brazil), 1968




More Bizarro Stuff Around the WWW

 Wayno's Weekly Bizarro Newsletter

  Dan Piraro's Weekly Bizarro Blog

Dan "Diego" Piraro's Peyote Cowboy Graphic Novel

 
Thanks for visiting us, and Happy Mother's Day to all moms and mother figures out there. See you next week.
 

Copyright© 2023 by Wayno®

 

 

 

 

 

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:23 PM

    The band is Ekova, the vocalist is Dierdre Dubois.
    She is singing in her own made up gibberish style. A very interesting trio. The song is titled, Siip Siie.
    https://youtu.be/8_f1PV13rSk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I dug that track. I'll be exploring more of their music. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:38 AM

    The nose on that silhouette looks like William Powell, who as the Thin Man was quite fond of a pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:33 AM

    Surprisingly an image search by Bing in Edge found the silhouette pic posted on a website in 2014, but there isn't any info with the pic. https://adski-kafeteri.livejournal.com/2821169.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:54 PM

    First of all, you are my favorite cartoonist, and if you published a book of your Bizarro work, I would buy it. (Perhaps this isn't possible because there are two of you drawing the Bizarro strip?) Here's my favorite thing about your blog: I love seeing how the horizontal strip layout differs from the vertical panel layout. Almost invariably, the strip seems stronger and visually more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very kind words.

      If a publisher was interested, I'm sure we could do separate books of Dan's work and mine. There haven't been any offers made, but we're open!

      Quite often, I find myself preferring the strip version too. Maybe I should start with the strip and reverse engineer the panel...

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2:30 PM

    I think the upside down pipe is early Victorian English racism. Irishmen are sometimes shown smoking a pipe upside down because the English cartoonist in an English Newspaper was trying to show how stupid the Irish were. Irishmen who liked to smoke did so upside down to prevent the rain from putting out their pipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not aware of that, though I've certainly seen cartoons or illustrations of people smoking a pipe upside down.

      I have a feeling that this photo might be a surrealist or dada artist's work, but again, have no solid basis for that.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:45 PM

    Well, Wayno, I see you answered my comment on last week's blog - and took responsibility for the error. Are you sure it's not a technology glitch? - the exact same thing happened again this week -Thursday is missing from here again! (and it IS on Dan's blog.) It's my favorite this week - Summery Execution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could blame it on the technology. Somehow, I made the same omission two weeks in a row! I’ll be sure to fix it on Monday…

      Delete
  7. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Wayno - I found it on this page with a TinEye reverse image search. Like the comment above, there wasn't any source, but it is a treasure trove of pipe pics you could harvest. Love your work!

    Thanks,

    Ron

    http://musselsoppansvanner.blogspot.com/2009/11/this-isnt-pipe-either.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan Harrington1:11 PM

    Gretel had her OWN story before her brother was born. It was a Pre-Hansel Tale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:45 PM

    Googled silhouette man smoking pipe. Got quite a few, but many were sherlock Holmes & none with an inverted pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:12 PM

    I am one of those interested in the nuts and bolts of Bizarro. Thanks for including the strip layout every now and then! Great stuff all around.

    ReplyDelete