Saturday, February 04, 2023

Culinary Surrealism

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century, and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


When no one can tempt you with heaven or hell
You'll be a lucky man

Alan Price, from the song "O Lucky Man!"

 

I've been revisiting and reevaluating my record collection with the intention of thinning it out. One item that will always be part of the archive is Alan Price's soundtrack to Lindsay Anderson's 1973 film O Lucky Man! 

I've only seen the film a couple of times, and have spotty memories of it, but I recall Price and his band appearing several times to play the songs, as a Greek chorus. Price's songs are concise gems, with an undercurrent of cynicism that fit well with the plot.

The title track, quoted above, is a particular favorite, and seems especially timely today.


As a music lover and a fan of mid-century graphics, I'm naturally fond of our latest pipe pic.

This 1955 EP by Andy Griffith is a fine example of cartooning and design rendered using two-color printing. It was brought to my attention by my old pal Jim, who owned one of Pittsburgh's greatest record stores for around twenty years. 

In the early 1980s, I lived about a hundred yards from Jim's store, and spent a lot of time (and money) there. We had many adventures together, publishing a music zine, starting an independent record label, and playing together in a band. He moved from the area many years ago, but we're still friends, and he's still unearthing cool records.

Thanks for another discovery, ol' buddy!


It's doubtful that any of this week's Bizarro comics are as stylish as that record cover, but I'm sharing them anyway.

We opened the week with an art history pun.

I was surprised and gratified to receive a compliment on this gag from the great Bill Griffith, a colleague, friend, and inspiration.

Griffy surely made my Monday.
 

Some have speculated that Tuesday's panel was autobiographical, but in reality, my partner and I both indulge and adore our feline family member.

Such was not the case for American painter Edward Hopper. I recently stumbled upon an article about Hopper's habit of making cartoon-like drawings expressing his peeves, and leaving them around the home for his wife Jo to find. Apparently Hopper was quite jealous of the couple's cat Arthur, based on this drawing.

Status Quo, 1932
Graphite on paper, 8.5" x 11"

 

Even the most talented individuals can be cranky and passive-aggressive. Sheesh.


They also have difficulty recognizing the difference between a thumb and a nose.


He may be a double dipper, but he's not a liar.

There's a new boss and a new dress code.


Readers of my newsletter saw a sneak preview of the tuba in this panel a few weeks ago. I mentioned that it wasn't a hundred percent accurate, but was close enough to reality to work in a cartoon.
 

That closes the lid on another week of Bizarro comics. I hope you enjoyed reading them as much as I did making them for you. Drop by again next week for more funny words and pictures.



Bonus Track

Andy Griffith, "The Fishin' Hole"
from
Songs, Themes And Laughs From The Andy Griffith Show
Capitol Records LP, 1961


Former children of the Television Age are probably familiar with Earle Hagen's catchy theme music from The Andy Griffith Show, with its memorable whistling and finger-snapping arrangement. Fewer have heard this vocal version, sung by Griffith himself.

For the truly adventurous, give a listen to Lorne Greene's vocal rendition of the Bonanza theme.

 


More Bizarro Goodness

Dan Piraro's Bizarro Blog
Dan's sumptuous Sunday Bizarro page, and his "What I Did on My Vacation" report

 Wayno's Bizarro Newsletter
A supplement to this blog, a preview of a future gag, and something artsy from previous careers

Dan Piraro's epic, award-winning, surreal western graphic novel

Copyright© 2023 by Wayno®




 


 

 

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:05 PM

    Mr. Price has the sweet sound of a combined The Who & The Kinks to me! Thanks for that, always love the weekly musical interludes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear those similarities, too. Some of his piano style and melodies remind me a little of Harry Nillsson, too.

      Delete
  2. Excellent illustration of the tuba. Excellent. I vote for more tubas in comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It didn't give me s much trouble as a piano keyboard does.

      Delete
  3. another week of brilliance...... thanks wayno. it was sweet to hear the optimistic warbling of andy griffith. good timez.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark Mc9:26 PM

    Love the Bunhaus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:23 AM

    Greetings from planet Mardi Gras. Hope you're well. Lorne Greene singing Bonanza is gold! Thanks --- Black Mold - WWOZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have the 2 CD "What it is, is Andy Griffith." Of course Fishin' Hole is on there.
    Even better, my parents had the "Welcome to the Ponderosa" album. It got played a lot. Whenever Lorne Greene would sing about fighting in Bonanza, my friends and I would wrestle around the living room driving my mom crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can easily imagine that scene happening in my childhood home.

      Delete