Saturday, September 03, 2022

Gag Me With a Spoon

This is the regular dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend, Dan Piraro, who created Bizarro in the late twentieth century, continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


Although summer officially ends in about three weeks, the Labor Day weekend is when many people feel it's coming to an end. Kids are headed back to school (or have already started), and there's a whiff of autumn in the air.

Since many of you are probably firing up the barbecue and getting in some last-minute celebrating (or work), I'll keep this week's post brief, or at least do my best to stay on topic.

Today's oddball pipe pic was sent by longtime Jazz Pickle and good friend Jeff B. 

We're unable to confirm details, but it's purported to be a 1950s era photo of a beekeeper who was such a nicotine fiend, he smoked on the job. Not only does his protective netting have an opening for a pipe stem, but he also wore a jaunty tweed flat cap.

Thanks to Jeff, whom I have personally seen sporting some impressive headgear himself.

Now, as is our tradition, we review the week in Bizarro.

I showed an early sketch of Monday's gag to my friend and bandmate Tom Roberts to see if he had any suggestions. Tom is a piano player, composer, whistler, singer, historian, archivist, doggy-dad, and so much more. I figured he'd have something to add, and was right.

I wasn't sure if the gag should refer to Mozart, Bach, or someone else. After some discussion and pondering, Tom told me that "Mozart's stuff was already complex as a little kid, so go with Bach." 

I modeled the character in this one on a real person, and got some interesting wild guesses, including Dodo Marmarosa (who was a Pittsburgh-born piano player), and Mehmet Oz (who falsely claims to be a Pennsylvanian).

The drawing is meant to be a caricature of Glenn Gould (1932-1982), a Canadian classical pianist, known for his outstanding performances and recordings of Bach compositions.

His most famous album is probably his 1955 release of Bach's Goldberg Variations, a cycle of 30 compositions. Gould recorded them again in 1981.

My knowledge of classical music is laughably inadequate, but I know what I like, and Gould is a favorite here at the cartoon studio.


I recently ran across a reference to distraction therapy, which is a technique for helping patients manage pain, anxiety, or nausea, or to kick unwanted habits, such as smoking. For the comic, we took that idea to an extreme.

This strip is formatted vertically, because I wanted to show the entire image of the person juggling while riding a unicycle.

The art needed more tweaking than usual, but I was happy with the result.

Quite a few people found this one to be nauseating. If it's any consolation, I almost barfed while drawing the "kiddie pool" portion.

Once again, I tip my fedora to J.C. Duffy, creator of The Fusco Brothers, and king of fly in the soup comics.


Thursday's panel features the world's most efficient carny booth.

 
I'm embarrassed to admit that it's been over a month since my last clown gag.

Literally.

That's the type of humor we foisted on an unsuspecting public this week. Check in next time for robots, insects, the Big Bad Wolf, a kid with a report card (already?), and talking inanimate objects.

Don't forget to visit these fine resources, which I've described too many times in the past:

Dan Piraro's Bizarro Blog

Wayno's Bizarro Newsletter

Diego Piraro's Peyote Cowboy Graphic Novel


Thanks for the attention of your eyeballs and brain. Your readership and support are the reasons we do whatever it is we're doing here.

Bonus Track

Jonathan Richman: "That Summer Feeling"
from Jonathan Sings (Sire Records, 1983)




15 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:58 PM

    I love Jonathan Richman! I think this is how Lou Reed (RIP) would have sounded on happy pills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a good description. I love Jonathan, too. One of a kind!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:38 PM

    Metal Letterpress Cutouts sounds interesting. Or the name of a band. In HS we had an ink press printer, we set type upside down and backwards. We used the embosser to toast grilled cheese. I printed my own diploma! The Bunny of Exuberance must be subdued by the suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a more dignified exuberance.

      Delete
  3. [quote]Gould is a favorite here at the cartoon studio[/quote]
    A favorite of many! I strongly recommend "Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould":
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108328/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colm Feore was brilliant in that. Didn't he win an Oscar? Or did the film?

      Delete
    2. I've been wanting to see that!

      Delete
  4. It took me a while to get the clown gag. The laugh was worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took me a while to draw it, too :)

      Delete
  5. I'm no expert, but when I read Monday I thought "this should be Mozart". He's credited with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star as a child (although the tune was part of a far more advanced work) and that would be just perfect on a toy xylophone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could have gone either way.

      Delete
  6. Funny: before I read the bit about Glenn Gould, I was going to comment that given the height of the toy xylophone vis-a-vis the pianist's shoulders, it might as well have been Glenn (I called him "Glenn"). (For those who don't know, he was noted for sitting unnaturally -- almost ridiculously -- low at the keyboard. One National Film Board documentary short showed him in a recording session at CBS in New York, sitting with his legs crossed, one leg practically wrapped around the other. That's one way to avoid using the "sostenuto" pedal while playing Bach.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That was a happy accident.

      Delete
  7. roxi rossetti6:28 PM

    I introduced a friend of mine to Bizarro and the secret symbols using the clown gag this week. Having neglected to give even a cursory glance at the well-written explanatory notes Dan kindly prepared some years ago and which I forwarded to him, he thought the lit candles must be a secret symbol because why would they be lit in the daytime? I referred him to the title of the comic. Anyway, next day he got to the comic even before I did and sent me his list of secret symbols he uncovered. I think he may be hooked now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for recruiting a new Jazz Pickle, Roxi!

      Delete