Saturday, March 19, 2022

Brown Shoes Don't Make It

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I (Wayno®) write and draw the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics, having assumed that role in 2018. My esteemed partner and good friend, Dan Piraro, who created Bizarro in the late twentieth century, continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.



Greetings once again from Hollywood Gardens, PA, where we're anticipating a few noisy days in the coming week. Our home, which was built in the late 1940s, is in need of roof replacement. As far as I know, it's all original, so this is probably overdue. With no leaks or structural problems, it'll be a simple project for professionals who know what they're doing. 

My workspace is on the upper floor of the house, which means I'll find out how well my noise-cancelling headphones stand up to overhead hammering and sawing.

Of course, given the conditions people endure in many parts of the world (not to mention some of the more oppressive states in this country), I can't complain about a little noise as I sit in safe surroundings drawing cartoons.

Before we look at the latest Bizarro comics, please enjoy this terrific pipe pic of left-handed blues musician Albert King.


A sharped-eyed reader alerted me to the CD below. I love the cover photo of Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but couldn't find a high-resolution version that would work as a preview image for the blog, so I poked around the Internet and found the jaunty photo above. 

A grateful tip of the ol' porkpie to our reader Scot G for leading me to these cool pipe pics of a great musician.

Earlier this century, I illustrated around 150 ink portraits of musicians and singers as part of a project for Rhino Records. Many of the drawings were exhibited in a 2009 art show, File Under: Pop. I also experimented with color prints of a few of them, including the Albert King portrait above. I only wish I'd drawn him with a pipe.
 
Now, we present this week's gags.

The first of two Saint Patrick's Day gags depicts the legendary laptop at the end of the blockchain.
 
The revolt of the machines might have succeeded if they'd managed to radicalize the Roomba. 

My favorite part of this panel is the phrase "retrofuturist gulag."
 
In this family, all campfire stories are scary.

Who wouldn't want to be honored by an annual display of public regurgitation?
 
It was almost three weeks since our previous clown gag, so you probably knew one was coming soon. My original text for the thought bubble was "Weirdo," but the word "Freak" felt more righteously contemptuous. Plus, it's shorter.
 
We closed out the week with a simian pun, which I now notice we also did last Saturday. My excuse is being born in a Year of the Monkey. 
 
I hope this batch of words and pictures gave you a few chuckles. Thanks for stopping by to check them out. Don't forget to visit Dan Piraro's blog, where he'll have more to say about these gags, and will share his newest Sunday Bizarro page, which is always a thing of beauty and hilarity.

To receive a notification when I update this blog, or when I have other news to share, subscribe to my free newsletter by enrolling below.

powered by TinyLetter

 
Every newsletter includes an exclusive peek at something new from my drawing board, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
 
Bonus Track

Elvis Costello & the Attractions
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes

Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ (1978)


Elvis is still king.



17 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:24 PM

    The peep is hilarious and a genius connection to the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:25 PM

    The peep is hilarious and a genius connection to the theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing that little Easter egg!

      Delete
  3. https://g.co/kgs/ntd4Yh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the inspiration for the title of this post. Thumbs up for catching the reference!

      Delete
  4. https://g.co/kgs/ntd4Yh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see more of the artwork for the Rhino Records project. This reminds me of the series that R. Crumb did of classic blues musicians. That is a compliment, as you both capture the feel of the music and musicians in your own unique styles. Both Elvi are King!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It’s flattering to be mentioned in the same sentence as Crumb!

      Here’s an old web link from when art from the show was for sale:

      http://wayno.com/FileUnderPop/cashgreen.html

      The black & white line art on its own probably looks less Crumb-like!

      There are some more here:

      http://wayno.com/rhino_art/rhino.html

      Please don’t judge me for my hopelessly outdated website!


      Delete
  6. I loved the Pi merit badge on the 'Shmellow Scout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye on your part, Patrick!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:08 PM

    Hi Wayno. Love your work. I only wish wish you'd worked worked with a proofreader.
    Keep being your wonderful self.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding that typo, Jeff! I’ve fixed it. I appreciate your gentle correction.

      Delete
  8. Once upon a time long long ago (the late 60's, of which it's said "if you can remember it, you weren't there") I went to the Fillmore Auditorium in SF (or maybe it was the Carousel Ballroom? See prior parenthetical.) and saw a show with Albert King, BB King and Charlie Musslewhite. Turned into one 4-5 hour mixed set by the end of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like an amazing show! Thanks for sharing that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess I'm really stupid but what's the pun in "Reese's Monkeys"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not st all! Sometimes a pun simply escapes me too.

      They’re rhesus monkeys, and “Reese’s” refers to the chocolate & peanut butter candies.

      Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  11. Ward Christensen6:49 PM

    Thanks for the opportunity to literally "Laugh out loud" at both Leprecoin and "Reese's Monkeys". I thoroughly enjoy them all, and like having to sometimes have to think a while to get it.

    ReplyDelete