Saturday, December 25, 2021

Holiday Droppings

It's Christmas Day, and to those of you who celebrate it, I wish you a happy one. We've sandwiched several holiday comics into this week's batch, because the season is so rich in mythology, and we're hoping some of these gags might generate greeting card revenue.

Since today is a holiday for so many, I'll do my best to keep things moving along quickly.

We open this post with a traditional pipe pic, as drawn by Thomas Nast (1840-1902).

The German-born artist is sometimes referred to as "The Father of the American Cartoon," and was famous for his biting editorial work criticizing New York Senator William "Boss" Tweed. Nast was largely responsible for creating the popular American vision of Santa Claus, whom he usually depicted with a pipe.

Perhaps one day, Bizarro's own Pipe of Ambiguity will achieve iconic status. Until then, we'll keep placing it in our comic panels. There's probably one somewhere in this most recent bunch.


A friend told me that Monday's panel was "batshit crazy," and I can't argue with that description.
 

For the Winter Solstice (a popular holiday at my house), we shared a bit of meteorological verse, referencing the popular and widely parodied poem, "A Visit from Saint Nicholas."


I did a gag based on the familiar verse a few years ago in my old feature, WaynoVision.
 
By the way, our official policy is that any recitation of this poem using an exaggerated regional dialect and local idioms should be banned as a form of torture.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if a certain self-dealing senator followed Santa's example and gave our planet a lifesaving gift?

 
Everybody in the world assumes they should receive gifts on this poor guy's birthday.
 
As someone who writes a medium-to-long blog post, as well as an email newsletter, every single week to talk about what he's done over the past seven days, I have to acknowledge the irony in my making fun of those annual holiday letters.
 

I haven't checked into a hotel in a couple of years, but I think I remember what a registration desk looks like.
 
Saying that something is "on the fritz" is an American idiom meaning that the thing referenced is broken or not working properly. It's origins are murky, but it may have been imitative of the sparking sound of a broken electric appliance.

That's our Xmas Week selection, dear readers. I'll be back with a new post on January 1, as we jump into another Bizarro year. New Year's Day will be the start of my fifth year as your daily cartoonist, which for me is a pretty swell holiday gift. I hope you continue to enjoy our words and pictures. Thanks for sticking with me this far.

Don't forget to visit Dan Piraro's blog. He's always got interesting things to say about our comics and other topics, along with a gorgeous Bizarro Sunday page. This week, Dan said some very nice things about our ongoing partnership, and even made me blush a little. I would add that he's a dream to work with, too.

Best wishes for whatever holidays you observe.

Bonus Track

The Kinks: "Father Christmas"
Arista Records single, 1977




The blog and newsletter are always free,
but gratuities are welcomed.
 


15 comments:

  1. So I was totally baffled by "Inclement Clarke Moore"'s recitation. My reflexive research chops led me on a merry chase to the Clarke Moore in question. But since I've become forgetful in my dotage, I'd already forgotten about "Inclement". The trail ran me through New York City history, the fact that Moore was an early property super capitalist who developed the Chelsea district on the upper west side (named after his estate to the north). This led me to think about the Chelsea Hotel, a place I'd been thinking about recently. Then I went back to the actual cartoon, and bang! There was the joke! I love the rabbit holes you dig into your cartoons. Thanks, Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comment! I’m glad you enjoy the sometimes-obscure references. Not everyone does!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas Wayno! Another great batch of comics, kinda like Christmas cookies. It's sad that we're losing all our musical heros. Mike Nesmith was certainly a talent. That's a great choice for a musical outro. One of my favorite Christmas songs. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so flattered that you compared the comics to sweet treats. I’m grateful that our musical heroes left their work for us to enjoy.

      And, yes, “Father Christmas” by the Kinks is a favorite here too. Ray Davies manages to be cynical, sarcastic, and hopeful all in one hard-rocking classic. Cheers to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Dear Wayne, I see your cartoon in the San Diego Union Tribune. The Friday (Dec. 24) cartoon is not mentioned in your above weekly blog. It involves "Witness Protection Program." Would love to hear your comments about that one. Maybe next week's blog you can include a comment about it. Thanks for all you do. Tim Griffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, thanks for the heads-up. I somehow overlooked that one when I wrote the blog post. I’ve updated the blog to include it.

      Thanks for being a regular reader, and for participating in the conversation! Cheers to you in the New Year.

      Delete
  4. I can willingly suspend any disbelief in bats conversing in English. That was easy! But the extra phalanges on the inverted hanger were a few fingers too far. I think bats relieve themselves in flight. You can verify this by visiting the Congress Street bridge in Austin, TX, just before sunset when millions of Mexican Freetail Bats emerge to begin mosquito patrol and lighten their loads over the Town Lake. An impressive sight and olfactory experience.
    Congratulations on your first four years carrying the Bizarro mantle. Wishing you many more,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of encouragement, and for the bat facts. I’ve learned a lot from thoughtful readers like you, Michael.

      Best,

      Wayno

      Delete
  5. MELE KALIKIMAKA!
    As always, LOVING the amazing imagery and hilarity!!
    With your and Dan's focus on finding the bright side of life, I think we'll be able to make it through 2022!!!
    Cheers,
    Bud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kindly, Bud! Your words have warmed my heart. And I’ll probably be whistling “Mele Kalilimaka” all afternoon.

      Let’s hope we can all make it through ‘22. Cheers!

      Delete
  6. Is the naughty child on Santa's lap a specific child or a traditionally drawn bad kid? He reminds me of several cartoon characters but my memory is far from perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pastor Alan: He’s not meant to be a specific character, but more of an “everybrat.” Some people have said he resembles Sluggo, and I can see a resemblance there.

    Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also mentioned this to Dan. The objects on the fritz are out of alphabetical order. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure you've seen by now the masterful dive Arnold Zwicky did with dive into "on the Fritz" as well as things on this week's cartoons, in at least two blog entries; here is one with the most cartoons.
    https://arnoldzwicky.org/2021/12/25/bizarros-of-the-solstice-festivus-and-christmas/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rah Bob: Actually, the objects seem to me to be in order, though in reverse.*
    *(If you live in a world where TV comes after Thermostat alphabetically, that is. I think most of us do.)

    ReplyDelete