Saturday, May 08, 2021

Look Ma, No Pants

Welcome back to the blog, Jazz Pickles, and happy Mother's Day to the moms among you. Whether your kids are human or another species, we salute you.

This week's pipe pic is a news clipping from 1987, when Mr. Potato Head decided to quit smoking in a public ceremony alongside Surgeon General C. Everett Koop.

We're not smokers here at Bizarro Studios North. The habit we can't kick is babbling about our newest cartoons every Saturday. Here's this week's download.

 
I recently received a press release that mentioned an author putting the finishing touches on a new book. At first, I thought it said touchés. The accent mark turned out to be a speck of dust on the screen, but I made note of the accidental pun and built a gag around it.
 

My latest indulgence in the form of wordplay I refer to as a streptonym. I'll continue to flog this coinage until it makes its way into a dictionary.

If you're getting married on Cinco de Mayo, a taco truck is the perfect caterer. I'm happy to encounter a good taco truck on any occasion. Five years ago, we were promised one on every corner, and we're still waiting.

On Thursday, I made fun of something I dislike by doing that very thing. I find the ubiquitous gags referencing Schrödinger's cat to be self-consciously clever, if not self-congratulatory. And yet, here I am doing one myself. Cartoonists are seldom rational or consistent.

Still, I promise never to tread this turf again.

Friday's comic was a bit of silliness in support of a serious cause. I encourage each of you to consider donating to a clothing charity in your area. For my hometown friends, I'm recommending Dress for Success Pittsburgh, whose mission is to provide a network of support, professional attire and development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.

That's no joke.

I'm grateful every day for having the job of creating the daily Bizarro comics. Over the years I've worked in a variety  of industrial and corporate settings, and each one had its share of exasperating microbureaucrats. The text in today's gag is entirely believable.

That concludes the latest pile of words and pictures from your obedient cartoonist. Pop by again next week for more of the same. And please visit Dan Piraro's blog for his latest musings and a brand new Bizarro Sunday page. 

Bonus Track

"Something for Cat"
the Henry Mancini Orchestra
from the Breakfast at Tiffany's soundtrack



1 comment: