Monday, November 06, 2017

Comic Coincidence

Recently, my good friend Dan Piraro and I independently came up with the same gag, but took slightly different approaches. This happens to all cartoonists from time to time, particularly when commenting on something that's current.

Here's my WaynoVision cartoon from September 18:
The day it ran, I heard from Dan via email:
I’ve got a Sunday comic in the pipeline that makes the man-bun/man-loaf pun! I added a lot of other bread types so it goes a step further but it’s going to look like I copied you. DAMN!
And…great minds!
Yesterday, Dan's take on the very same tonsorial topic appeared:
In the Bizarro version, Dan added four more doughy variants, going much further into the realm of the absurd, hitting it out of the park and into the stratosphere with the Man Holiday Cookies payoff.

We've each said in the past that we share a similar sense of humor, but this is a little scary.

3 comments:

  1. As many of our readers already know, you and I have collaborated on many dozens of cartoons over the years. We started doing that because our senses of humor are extremely similar but I think this might be the first time we've written the same joke independently. The only thing that saved me from doing the EXACT same gag is that I happened to make mine a Sunday panel so I had room (and the need) to expand on the joke and fill more space. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And (I think I mentioned this back then) the guy with the manloaf in your cartoon looks a little like Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All good. I have neighbors here with 'man buns'!?! (The significance of that escapes me.) I got guys here with purple hair, (that's kinda cool.)
    Personally- I have a 'modified Mohawk'- this looks really weird, because I am mostly bald. It's worse than that- the spots on the back that I missed, look really gross!
    The 'Flying Nun' asks me: "Are you on Chemo?"
    No- but is anybody bothering or harassing us?
    "No."
    Now you know why. (No pie for You- until you can convince her- that 'helmet head' is the latest fashion statement.) I asked her if she wants to become a 'biker chick'?
    "Yeah.)
    Okay- but first you have to get 'property of the Hell's Angels' tattoed on your butt. (I am 74 years old- she refuses to give me 'adult supervision'.
    THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT- they don't call you BIZARRO for nothing!
    Haw!
    Sincerely,
    Your beloved fan in T.O.

    ReplyDelete