Saturday, August 12, 2023

Dining, Drinking and Dancing

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


Music should never be harmless.

Robbie Robertson (1943-2023)


We lost another musical master this week: the Band's Robbie Robertson. Much has been written about the Band, and their complex, often contentious interrelationships. Despite the conflicts, they created a hugely impressive body of work, which has stood the test of time.


I've been listening to some of their music while working this week, though they're always part of my regular rotation. Thanks to a friend's Facebook post, I've been enjoying a stellar soundboard recording of a 1970 show at Pittsburgh's since-demolished venue, The Syria Mosque.


I was too young to attend that concert, but their 1970 album Stage Fright was the first of their records I'd ever heard. It happened after school at a friend's house whose older sister had excellent taste and a generous nature.


I treasure the music of Robertson, Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, and Garth Hudson (the last surviving member), and am grateful to Bob L's big sister for giving us access to her LPs way back when.


I photographed our latest pipe pic while visiting an old friend earlier this month.


Heads Together was one of the city's many great record stores. As soon as I got my driver's license, I regularly made my way to the city's Squirrel Hill and Oakland neighborhoods to spend the meager wages I earned stocking shelves at the local Shop & Save.

Thanks to my old pal Dan Charny for sharing this artifact during our visit.


Now, let's take a peek at the latest Bizarro gags.



I'm always trying to create wordless gags, but a punchline consisting of just two words is pretty satisfying too. Also, I enjoy drawing anteaters and ant farms.


I also enjoy drawing centipedes. This panel was inspired in no small part by a recent comic by my esteemed colleague Dave Blazek, in his feature, Loose Parts.


Dave's work is always hilarious, and I read Loose Parts every morning, which frequently causes me to spit my coffee.


I'm fairly certain that some corporations have done market research to find the sweet spot for aggravating customers.


Thursday's joke is a simple switcheroo on the trope of actors supporting themselves in food service until their big break comes along. I think that acting and making coffee are both honorable professions.


If you're the type of person who turns up their nose at less prestigious wines, read up on how inmates make alcoholic beverages. The research I did for this panel gave me a renewed appreciation for "bottom shelf" commercial beverages.


Everybody has one pet peeve regarding their partner, right?


I just noticed that the week's gags are heavy on food, beverages, and music, reflecting the motivations of your cartoonist.


That's the latest from Bizarro Studios North in scenic Hollywood Gardens PA. I've got to run, as my (small "b") band has a gig this evening in nearby Ellwood City, and it's time to pack up the car and hit the road.


Hope to have you back next week. Your comments are always welcome.



Bonus Track

The Band: "Up On Cripple Creek"
From The Ed Sullivan Show
November 2, 1969



"A new recording sensation for you youngsters."


17 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:49 AM

    Had to create a free account on GoComics (again!) to see Dave Blazek's work! As you said, his stuff is great! Thanks, Wayno!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share the work of a talented pal!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Did you notice the name of the bar in Dave’s cartoon, or are you just being modest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I saw it! I'd mentioned it in an earlier post, the week Dave's gag originally ran.

      Delete
  3. My favorite way to start my Saturdays! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You brought back some memories with this blog post, Wayno! The Syria Mosque! What a cool venue that was. Thanks to my older sister taking me with her, I got to see several concerts there in the 70s: Mott the Hoople (with REO Speedwagon as the opener), David Bowie (on the Diamond Dogs tour), Linda Ronstadt (with Al Stewart as opener) and the Hunter/Ronson Band. A couple of years ago I got a Syria Mosque t-shirt from a retro shirt company!

    Also, Heads Together. I never went there, but back then I used to hook the cable up to my receiver to be able to listen to WDVE (the only radio we had here was top 40 and country & western), and I remember those Heads Together ads! Thank you for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly have a cool sister! I saw quite a few shoes at the Mosque, but a little later than you. I need to see a photo of you in your SYria Mosque t-shirt! Take care, my friend.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I will have to get Hallie to take a photo!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2:05 PM

    Enjoyed watching the video of your interview with the librarian. I plan to check out the 3 books you highlighted. As musicians and artists, I believe we are all intrigued by the "creative process." Thanks for sharing. Feel free to share other books that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and insight. I think I'm going to re-read the Ellen Willis book soon.

      I also just bookmarked what looks like an interesting article about Woodstock, published just a couple weeks after the festival: "The Not-So-Groovy Side of Woodstock."

      https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1969/09/06/ellen-willis-the-not-so-groovy-side-of-woodstock

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:17 AM

    thx for posting-- keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:10 AM

    Frankly, very surprised that your blog only has 666 subscribers, I figured it would be in the tens of thousands. Your blog and Dan’s are ones that I look forward to weekly. One the one hand, for you, I hope the blog somehow goes viral and your subscriber count multiplies twenty-fold. On the other hand, I kind of feel like the cool kid who is in an exclusive club.

    Just love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think the newsletter subscribers are a subset of the blog's readership. Every reader is appreciated, for sure. Thanks for coming back to read us both.

      I'd say you ARE one of the cool kids!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:05 PM

    My first band played the Ellwood City S.O.I. Sunday nights back in 1965-66. We were paid in one-dollar bills because admission was $1. I recall making $15 and thinking I'd hit the big time. That works out to $150 in 2023 dollars, and I'm sorry to say most band members struggle to make that per night now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:07 PM

    On a cold winter night in 1974, I spent my last$13 to but Yes' "Tales From Topographic Oceans" at Heads Together. I'd been stood up on a date and I was living with my mom again (I was 25) after my band broke up and I had no income. Probably a low point in my life, but the LP helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I do hope the music helped. The comfort of a double LP, eh?

      Delete