Saturday, August 19, 2023

Artful Dodger

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno



Welcome, Friends of Bizarro.


I’m running a little later than usual this week, so we’re jumping right in with no opening quote, and no pithy commentary from your cartoonist.


Of course, we can’t have a blog entry without a pipe pic, and it’s a beauty.



This sophisticated image advertises an exhibit by the prolific and multi-talented illustrator Bob Staake, appropriately titled The Endless Imagination of Bob Staake.

A tip of the Bizarro summer porkpie with deep gratitude to Bob for allowing me to share this with you. If you’re in Cape Cod between now and mid-October, it would be worth your time to check out his show.


Here’s a look at the works recently exhibited in Gallery Bizarro.



Monday’s jailbird is of course Crockett Johnson’s Harold, of purple crayon fame. He was apprehended when his getaway car melted. 


Johnson also created a charming comic strip, Barnaby, whose title character looked a lot like Harold. Barnaby had a cigar-smoking fairy godfather named Mr. O’Malley, who was visible to children but not adults.


This week included a portmantuesday.


He could at least have committed to a Sharpie.


Either way, the procedure will pay for itself.


We haven't had a pirate gag for a while, so I was happy to come up with this one. The phrase "drop anchor" is my favorite element.


Saturday's gag used up all of my knowledge of hockey.


Thanks for checking in. We appreciate your readership and encourage you to keep those comments and pipe pics coming in.


Come by again next week for more of this sort of thing.



Bonus Track

The Residents featuring Snakefinger
"Jailhouse Rock"
from The 13th Anniversary Tour (1986)


After drawing the Harold cartoon, "Jailhouse Rock" was on continuous play in my head, particularly the lyric referencing the Purple Gang. The human brain is a weird and fascinating organ. 


14 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Wow! Thanks for the Pirate gag. You very deftly combined two layers of funny into that panel. I laughed twice as hard.

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B: Thank you kindly! I was happy when I came up with "drop anchor" for the dialog.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:54 PM

    Is the one-eyed pirate right or left handed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be "left-handed or right-hooked."

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:37 PM

    Congratulations on 1800 drawings/writings!
    That’s a lot of talent accompanied by tons of pressure to satisfy both your loyal audience and to meet your publication deadlines.
    Here’s to another 1800!
    We are so lucky to reap your brilliance!
    Thanks for being a part of our daily lives.
    Some of my favourites will always include “weather patterns”, the Miles Davis doctor visit diagnosis, and more recently, the corduroy wearing burglar as well as the “bleating” poets.
    I’d be curious to learn what some of my fellow readers’ top picks are as well.
    Cheers!!
    Linda E
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Linda, and for letting me know some of your favorites. That's good info to have when submitting work for awards.

      Delete
  4. Bill Snearly2:21 AM

    Just curious - have you changed something with your weekly newsletter in the past month or so? The embedded photos no longer show in Firefox, although they do using my phone. Also, the link to your blog is not active in Firefox. Works on the phone, but your work deserves a larger screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill: I haven't changed anything with the newsletter, although the platform (tinyletter.com) sometimes acts weird.

      I sent the newsletter to an alternate email address I use, in Firefox, and everything worked fine. All photos were displayed and all links worked. I'm not terribly savvy regarding web technology, but I'm wondering if there's some setting or preference in Firefox that might have changed.

      Do you see anything where there should be a photo, like that weird "broken image" symbol, or does it just go to the following text?

      Sorry I can't be of greater assistance here...

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:43 PM

      Working perfectly with Firefox for me!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous1:58 PM

      The link didn’t come up in my Firefox browser the first time I clicked it (from the email), but I tried a second time and everything was fine. Agreed it deserves a bigger screen. I look at these on my iPad so I can enlarge the cartoons to look more closely for the secret symbols.

      Delete
  5. Pirate comic got me good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melise Gerber1:44 PM

    I use Firefox and have had no trouble accessing the site. I usually use the link from the Bizarro HQ blog and it has always worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:38 PM

    I don't know if you've featured the pipe on the cover of DC Comics "Strange Adventures" #79 but it's worthy of your consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there! Great post about the "Artful Dodger." 😄

    I was actually wondering about something related to shopping recently - can you buy gas with walmart gift card? I've heard different opinions, and I thought this might be a good place to get some insights. Has anyone here tried it before?

    ReplyDelete