Saturday, May 04, 2024

Statue of Limitations

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno



I plan to be away from the studio and computer this weekend, enjoying spring weather and the company of fellow humans, so this post will stick to the basics. Which, of course, includes a pipe pic.

Last month I shared a photo from an eBay listing titled "German Toy Head with Pipe." I then searched the web for "German toy pipe," and was shocked by the number of hits it returned.


This character is described as a hedgehog from the 1970s.

Apparently pipe-smoking toys were a thing in Germany.


A Pleasant Surprise


I was notified on Sunday that I'm one of three finalists for a 2023 National Cartoonists Society Reuben Award in the Newspaper Panels Division. 


My fellow nominees are Dave Blazek and Nick Galifianakis, and I’m honored to be named alongside these two excellent cartoonists.

NCS members voted this week, and the awards will be presented in San Diego in August. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my expectations low.

I shared this news with subscribers to my weekly newsletter on Monday. If you'd like to read more behind-the-scenes stuff, you might consider checking it out. It's free and you can unsubscribe at any time.



Let's see if any of the week's Bizarro panels are award-worthy.


The Hemogoblin is a little-known beast from medical mythology. And yes, they usually wear Crocs.


"But do you know anyone who sells privacy screens?"


More than a few readers asked whether the Fish of Humility symbol appears in this panel. I didn't draw one, and it took me a while to see what they might be referring to. I'm guessing it was the flame on Liberty's torch. I can see why that could be mistaken for a fish tail. If you saw it as one, award yourself a point for finding an unintentional symbol.

We never deliberately put an incorrect number by the signature (except perhaps on April Fools' Day.) When that happens, it's an honest mistake by one of your mathematically challenged cartoonists.

I'm always grateful for readers who pay close attention to the details, even when they point out an error on my part.


I like this gag because the payoff is out of frame, and only appears in the reader's mind, and it happened in the past, so it's twice-removed from the scene we see.


In the strip layout, the character who speaks is also partly off-camera.


Fantasy football's got nothing on these make-believe musicians. If nothing else, they're dedicated to their craft.


Her alternate job title is Fair and Balanced Godmother. 

That wraps up another batch of words and pictures from my Little Shop of Humor. Thanks for dropping by. Please come back next week for more of this kind of thing.



Bonus Track

Television: "Venus"
From the album Marquee Moon
Elektra Records, 1977


I was fortunate enough to see Television perform in my hometown twice. The first time, in 1977, they were the opening act for Peter Gabriel, and my recollection is that the audience gave them a poor reception. When they returned in 2015, they were properly welcomed. 

Television's signature sound was highlighted by the intertwining guitars of Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd.


Even More Bizarro Stuff for You



  

6 comments:

  1. So near and yet so far...

    In Friday's panel, just a little shift of the text on the mentor's shirt, and you would have the elusive K2/O2 crossing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:23 PM

    Tom Verlaine sounds like the male version of Chrissie Hynde. And speaking of unintentional hidden symbols, Cinderella's right sleeve could be a slightly distorted Crown of Power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had counted that as a Secret Symbol, there would have been a Jazz Pickle uprising, but give yourself extra credit.

      Delete
  3. "Hemogoblin" heh-heh-heh snort! and the pink crocs! Killin' me over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxi! There's something inherently funny about crocs.

      Delete