Saturday, March 16, 2024

Late For the Apocalypse

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


 I only take a drink on two occasions—when I'm thirsty and when I'm not.
Brendan Behan

It's the weekend of that annual holiday of public urination and viridescent projectile vomiting.

Since St. Patrick is celebrated for ridding Ireland of "snakes" (code for non-Christians), there's supposedly a church-authorized pause in Lenten sacrifice for believers to get blind drunk in his honor. 

Irish culture is vibrant and involves much more than the frat party that's as close as many people get. That reminds me that I ought to revisit Brendan Behan's autobiographical novel Borstal Boy.

The holiday does, however, provide rich fodder for cartoonists.



Today's pipe pic is taken directly from one of this week's Bizarro panels.


Leprechauns are often depicted smoking inverted clay pipes, and according to a cursory web search, people might do that for several reasons: It's more easily lit in rain and winds, and the rain doesn't extinguish the tobacco. Of course, it would have to be tightly packed.



With that bit of knowledge in our heads, let's check out all six of this week's Bizarro cartoons.



An online expert informed me that the horseman's helmet wasn't "historically accurate." I'm still processing that one.


He's going to need a bigger net.


MacD is on to the workings of the Deep Farm.


Nutrias are notoriously uncooperative witnesses.


This is what happens when people are forced to return to the office.


The tickling sensation is the body absorbing antioxidants.


Pot o' Cartoon Gold

As a break from Lent, here's a feast of Saint Patrick's Day gags from the past, including a couple of old WaynoVision panels.










If you observe the holiday, please celebrate responsibly. I'll be here at home and may partake of a Guinness or two.

See you next week with more shenanigans.



Bonus Track

The Undertones: "Teenage Kicks"
Originally 45 released in 1978 by Good Vibrations Records


Legendary BBC disk jockey John Peel said "Teenage Kicks" was his favorite song of all time. It's a choice that's hard to argue with.


A Whole Lotta Bizarro



  

23 comments:

  1. Mr. Bossert10:44 AM

    Wow the St. Paddy's greatest hits are hiLARious! The intersectionality of multiple tropes is masterful. My favorite detail is the Mr.Drucker-ness of the proprietor of the green-packed bar. That's whose voice I heard saying the punchline; then I realized whose voice and that it constitutes meta-green humor - absolutely the avocado on top! Well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:53 AM

    Wow the St. Paddy's greatest hits are hi-LAR-ious. The intersectionality of various tropes is masterful. My favorite detail is the Mr. Drucker-ness of the proprietor of the packed green bar. When I realized whose voice I was hearing saying the punchline, and his meta-green-ness ... well, it made me very happy.
    Well done sir!
    Paul B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David R3:09 PM

    Love Teenage Kicks. John Peel was indeed legendary and had IMHO great taste in music. A decent interviewer and DJ as well.
    Love the sound of the twin Gibson Les Paul guitars and the legendary Rickenbacker bass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't noticed the sleep deprived look on the horse's face the when I first saw the Armageddon Savings Time gag. Great detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks for noting that! I appreciate your attention to detail!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your "Nuancy" bit making it to the archives, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jimbro! I feel almost legit!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Couldn't help but notice the 3 rocks in your Nuancy piece! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:00 PM

    I have always absolutely loved the song "Teenage Kicks"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much a perfect single, isn't it.

      Delete
  8. MoToM8:09 PM

    The algae green beer is great, especially since it really exists. Well, almost, it’s actually blue and gets that color from algae…. https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/sacrebleu-french-brewers-use-algae-make-blue-beer-2022-02-03/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew? Not me! Thanks for the fascinating link. I think the blue color would put me off, so I'd have to drink that blindfolded.

      Delete
  9. Darla9:41 PM

    I love the 1ft and 2ft marks on the pool. Wonderful detail that gave me an extra chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darla! I appreciate it when people notice the little details :)

      Delete
  10. John Hurlbut2:05 PM

    I’m not what you would call a religious person. Your statement that St Pat drove out non religious people I did not know. So I googled it and I learned that probably St Pat tried to convert Druids to Christianity and may have been a little successful. So I enjoyed your humour quite a bit and I learned something as well. As some people have said, you do have a talent for details. And humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, John. History, and the way it's (re)written is fascinating, isn't it.

      I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Brendan never drank unless he was alone or with someone. Loved the blog this week! (Just catching up)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dena Mattausch11:39 AM

    Thanks for invokin' Vonnegut, and for the LOLs! Dig (pipe 'n' specs owner) Piet Mondrian's vision for the future. While it puts artists out of work, who DOESN'T want to live in realized art?!: “In the future, the realization of pure plastic expression in palpable reality will replace the work of art. But in order to achieve this, orientation toward a universal conception and detachment from the oppression of nature is necessary. Then we will no longer have the need of pictures and sculpture, for we will live in realized art.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep words to ponder. Thanks, Dena!

      I read Vonnegut a lot in my teens and twenties. I think I'll revisit some of his work soon.

      Delete