Saturday, October 28, 2023

For Crying Out Loud

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


I've always heard people's criticisms twice as loudly as their praise.

Sam Raimi


Sam Raimi is best known (and was probably best compensated) for directing three Spider-Man films. Earlier in his career, his Evil Dead trilogy served up a unique combination of horror and humor. Darkman (which he directed and co-wrote) is the only superhero movie I'd willingly view.

I don't know exactly when he expressed the sentiment above, or whether he said it at all, given the amount of misinformation on the web, but it's certainly something most artists have felt.

Social networks and the internet make it much too easy for unqualified and uninformed would-be critics to spout off unsolicited opinions, but at least it helps us all develop thicker skins.

If I ever see Mr Raimi, I'll yell as loudly as I am able, "Great work, Sam!"



Double Pipe Pic


These jaunty 1960s Halloween decorations were made by the Beistle Company, which is still operating in the south-central Pennsylvania city of Shippensburg.

I found the image on an auction site and knew it was destined for this week's blog entry.



I hope this week's Bizarro panels are more humorous than horrible, but I'll let you be the judge of that.



A truly dedicated collector wears white cotton gloves even when handling a protective Lucite case.


I was never a member of any branch of the military but if I were, I'd welcome an assignment like this. 


A couple of waggish Jazz Pickles commented that the patient might have simply been fatigued. I tip my leafy helmet to Dave M and Alyn H for the excellent pun, which I hadn't thought of.


This establishment no longer places candles on the tables after an unfortunate incident resulting in a large hole in the outer wall the same size and shape as our server. 


Although it has no dialog or caption, I suppose this one doesn't precisely qualify as a wordless panel.

As a fellow service animal, I can confirm that the rewards of the job are worth all of the work.


Saturday's pet-related comic is somewhat autobiographical. Our beloved feline family member had a long bout of anxiety and would wake us several times throughout the night (though not as often as every thirty minutes). He's mostly gotten over it, but the first few nights that he slept peacefully, we lay awake, wondering if he was all right.

That's the latest output from Bizarro Studios North. Feel free to praise or criticize, but please be gentle.

Thanks for ringing the studio's doorbell and showing off your costumes. See you next week.



Plugola 

Have I mentioned that my free weekly newsletter magically appears in your inbox to let you know when a fresh blog entry is available?

Each edition includes a graphic artifact from my past and an exclusive sneak preview of an upcoming Bizarro gag; or at least a small piece of it. Here's a recent preview, snipped from a gag that will run in December.


And, this is one of the historical images from a recent newsletter:


It's a drawing of the actress Karen Black (1939-2013), as she appeared in the 1970 film Five Easy Pieces. The sketch was based on a photo from her New York Times obituary in August of 2013. When I have time to linger over coffee, I'll sometimes warm up by drawing something from the newspaper, trying to pencil as little as possible, and just draw what I see. This is one of those early morning sketches.

If this sort of thing intrigues you, I hope you'll check it out. You can always unsubscribe, and it won't hurt my feelings much.



Bonus Track 

Michael Hurley
"The Werewolf Song"
from the album First Songs
Folkways Records, 1964


Michael Hurley (born 1941) recorded this composition at least two times, and it's been covered by artists such as Cat Power, the Holy Modal Rounders, and Tin Men, a New Orleans guitar/sousaphone/washboard trio.

Hurley's first recording is a favorite around here, but I enjoyed every version I've encountered.


Additional Bizarro Resources

If you enjoy what we do, and appreciate that it all comes to you free, we encourage you to explore any or all of the following links. Thanks!


 Wayno's Weekly Bizarro Newsletter

 Dan Piraro's Weekly Bizarro Blog

Dan's Tip Jar

Dan "Diego" Piraro's Peyote Cowboy Graphic Novel

Official Bizarro Shop

King Features Subscription & Archive Access




Copyright© 2023 by Wayno®  

9 comments:

  1. Vere Nekoninda2:11 PM

    GREAT WORK, WAYNO!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are heard! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. I liked Karen Black and your drawing of her picture. Is that your finger to her right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:22 PM

      Actually, if you look closely, it's HER thumb. Her right arm is raised (arm coming down, elbow just below lower edge of frame, and coming back up) and her hand leaning on the post there. From what *I* see, anyway! ;-)

      Delete
    2. you're right i see that now :-)

      Delete
  3. I knew instantly it was Karen Black before you said anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave M10:36 AM

    Thanks for the shoutout, my friend!

    ReplyDelete