Saturday, September 16, 2023

Adventures in Jersey City

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno



To err is human — to forgive, canine.
Unknown

Hey there, Jazz Pickles. I'm still catching up on work and wrapping up an extra project I couldn't turn down, so let's jump right in with a pipe pic. 

This photo was snapped by reader David N at a recent New York Mets baseball game.


I was hesitant about sharing this because I disapprove of using an animal to solicit donations on the street. That poor dog cannot be happy or comfortable. The person who set this up may be in need, and I hope they find some assistance and stop placing their dog in this situation.

Normally, our pipe pics are posted in fun, but this time it's a reminder that our pets often will do anything to please us or to be in our company, and that bond should never be abused.


This week's Bizarro cartoons were all ethically created and sourced.



Vampires are generally more stylish than werewolves, but there are exceptions.


While he's at it, he should add some ears to his headpiece.


Drawing the citizenry involved some photo research on the part of your cartoonist.


The gag was meant to look like a dictator delivering a speech from a balcony, and the strip configuration did a better job of it.


Thursday's panel offered a lesson in communications etiquette and a warning to be cautious when pointing out breaches of texting manners.


The gag rather worked well as a vertical strip.


The character in the upper left of the panel is truly the original rock musician.

My sketch had a small amplifier in the foreground, but I didn't include that in the final art, finding it funnier to show the instrument cable running out of the frame and leaving its other end to the reader's imagination.


Those voices from the sky tell people to do the oddest things, don't they.



Beyond the Board 

Occasionally, I venture outside the studio. In late August, I visited the Pittsburgh Steelers office to deliver a gameday poster I designed, and to be photographed for their website.


Photo by Karl Roser / Pittsburgh Steelers

This is the second year I've been invited to design a poster for a Steelers home game. The assignment placed me in an unfamiliar realm, but the gig was enjoyable, and everyone at the Steelers organization was pleasant to work with.


The project, involving several artists doing posters for all of the season's home games was curated and coordinated by our friends Kim Fox/Workerbird and Dan Rugh at CommonWealth Press.


A few posters are available for pre-order in the team's online Pro Shop.


I also traveled to New York and Jersey City for the National Cartoonists Society's annual Reuben Awards.


King Features threw a welcoming cocktail party for its cartoonists, at their headquarters in Manhattan.


Catching up with Patrick McDonnell, creator of Mutts

With Jenny Robb of the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library
 & Museum and Hilary Price, Rhymes With Orange cartoonist

The next day, it was off to Jersey City for the NCS meetings and awards.

One of the first people I encountered was Terry LaBan, a great cartoonist I've known since the late 1980s.

The following day, a few of us took a field trip to visit WFMU, the independent freeform listener-supported radio station, which has a strong connection with the cartoonist community.


This must be the place!


Four cartoonists under the painted dome on WFMU's top floor: Johnny Sampson, Gideon Kendall, yours truly, and Jonathan Lemon.


Station Manager and Program Director Ken Freedman gave us the grand tour. Here he's showing us the live performance booth, where hundreds of musicians have performed on the air.

The building also houses an impressive collection of paintings on black velvet.

All hail Charles Nelson Reilly!

Big thanks to Jonathan Lemon for arranging our visit, and to Ken Freedman and everyone at WFMU for making us feel like big shots.

Thursday evening, everyone got dressed up fancy for the awards event. My friend Hilary looked particularly elegant in her white jacket.

We figured we could save money next year by trading blazers, and had an impromptu fitting.

She wore both items better than I did!

Bizarro was nominated for an award in the Newspaper Panels division. We didn't win, but the prize went to our buddy Dave Blazek for Loose Parts.

It was a pleasure to offer Dave my congratulations on his win.

I did come home with drawings by both Dave Blazek and Dan McConnell, and they'll have a treasured place in my archives.




Thanks for dropping by the old blog station. See you next week with more words and pictures.



Bonus Track 

Bongo Joe (George Coleman)
"Innocent Little Doggie"
Arhoolie Records, 1969


George Coleman a/k/a Bongo Joe (1923-1999) was a unique street musician who accompanied his vocals and whistling on a homemade percussion kit made from 55-gallon steel drums. His music perfectly embodies the fiercely weird independent character of WFMU.


18 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:46 PM

    I love the Noah cartoon! I haven’t heard that take on it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Once it hit me, I had to draw that cartoon.

      Delete
  2. The portrait of Charles Nelson Reilly on velvet leaves me speechless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a great collection, but that one is tops!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:47 PM

    Thanks for all the travelogue pix!
    So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:58 AM

    Before another week passes, I just want to congratulate you on the door-to-door Arbitrarians. That’s a religion I could embrace. Except for the going door to door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you liked it, and the door to door part would be difficult, but no harder than any other traveling evangelists, I imagine...

      Delete
  5. Love your work! A few leaves on the guitar cord would have been an interesting touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thanks! I wish I'd thought of adding some leaves to the cord. Great idea!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:11 PM

    Is it really hoarding--despite collecting tens of millions of species--if you only collect two of each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask your partner and get back to me.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous3:28 PM

    Possibly of interest: https://acdc-tributeband.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's pretty clever, since they're from British Columbia. Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous5:25 PM

    My three Australian Cattle Dogs were intensely interested in the opening part of the bonus track

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that breed of dog. Well, I love most dogs...

      Delete
  9. Anonymous3:22 PM

    Hey Wayno, thanks for turning me on to WFMU, lovin’ it!

    ReplyDelete