Saturday, July 08, 2023

Fun With Thermodynamics

 This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno 


 

As promised in a previous post, due to a construction project at Casa Wayno, things are rather hectic here. We’ve been hanging plastic drop cloths in all the doorways and covering almost every horizontal surface. Now our home looks like the set of Netflix serial killer series. This week’s blog entry and newsletter will be less verbose than usual to keep up with cartoon deadlines. 



 

Today, we complete the Monty Python cycle of pipe pics with a shot of John Cleese in the 1977 film, The Strange Case of the End of Civilisation as We Know It. Cleese starred as Arthur Sherlock Holmes, grandson of the famous detective.




Of course, the primary purpose of this blog is to review the latest Bizarro gags, so here they are.



BB doesn’t know that Goldie has decided his meal is the one for her.



Knowing that the whole world is watching can be a mood killer.


I admit to having no prior familiarity with the book Anne of Green Gables beyond its title, so I had to do some homework to develop a setup for the caption.



Research for this panel taught me that drinking bird toys are still around. The toy was available in China as early as the 1920s and was patented in the US in the 1940s. It’s an example of a thermodynamic device called a heat engine.


For the strip layout, I swapped the foreground and background elements.



That doesn’t seem as threatening as people make it out to be.



Based on multiple true stories. Take your pick.


That's the latest from my corner of Hollywood Gardens, PA. Thanks for dropping by and checking out the words and pictures. I’ll probably do another short post next week and hope to be back to normal after that.



Bonus Track

Jane Aire and the Belvederes: "Yankee Wheels"
Stiff Records single, 1978



Since its original release, “Yankee Wheels” has been one of my favorite summertime songs. It sounds as fresh as when I first bought a copy at Pittsburgh’s legendary music store, Jim’s Records. I believe the sticker price was $2.50.



8 comments:

  1. Judi H1:04 PM

    "Based on multiple true stories. Take your pick." I love it. So many to choose from! I hope your remodeling project goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:21 PM

    https://www.gocomics.com/mycomics/1238852
    Great minds…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that link doesn’t work for me. It seems to be tied to a specific user’s GoComics account.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:55 PM

      Yeah, that link is just plain text... you can't click on it and expect it to connect. Just click and drag your mouse icon over the text, COPY it into memory, open up a new tab and PASTE the link into the URL line, and you'll be taken to the site. I just tried it, and it worked fine. Quite the site!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I know that it's just plain text. I did COPY and PASTE.

      It probably works for you because you're logged in to GoComics. Note the "mycomics" portion of the URL.

      Delete
  3. I was at Rutgers College from 1968 - 72. One of my favorite English professors was Bob Perrault. For a creative writing exercise, he had one of these things on his desk, and none of us had ever seen one before. It made for some very interesting writing. Some memories you never forget!

    And thanks for the info on Larry Lagatutta. What a wonderful tribute, Wayno. Thinking about buying a copy of his cookbook for my wife for Christmas. May he Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that story of your creative writing class. That's a good writing exercise.

      Yes, Larry was one of a kind. For a couple of years, I helped with the annual winemaking in Enrico's cellar. Very hard work, but fun, and with a lot of great food during breaks!

      Delete