Saturday, June 17, 2023

Humpty Dunk Me

This is the weekly dispatch from Bizarro Studios North, where I have been writing and drawing the Monday through Saturday Bizarro comics since 2018. My partner and friend Dan Piraro created Bizarro in the late twentieth century and continues to do the Sunday comic from Rancho Bizarro in Mexico.

Wayno


The search for truth and knowledge is one of the finest attributes of man—though often it is most loudly voiced by those who strive for it the least.
Albert Einstein

Einstein knew what he was talking about, as evidenced by current events. The world's most prolific liar continues to accuse everyone else of dishonesty; the brazen insurrectionist claims that his detractors are traitors; the thief says those who expose his crimes should be jailed. Cultists dismiss every horror perpetrated by their dear leader, and a confederacy of apologists and enablers twist themselves into pretzels to appease a willfully-deluded base. 

Fingers are crossed for long-overdue justice to be served.

By the way, I confidently share Einstein's quote, as it was confirmed by the New York Times.


Our pipe pic this time around is a graphic of unknown vintage. 

It appears to be a German ad for "fishy" herring filets, which were only available from Edeka Kaufmann (if Google Translate can be trusted.)

Before we review the week's comics, sincere thanks to everyone who offered congratulations on my nomination for the National Cartoonists Society's Silver Reuben Award for newspaper panels, and especially to my partner in cartoons, Dan Piraro, who said some very nice things on his blog last week. It's an honor to show my work in the gallery Dan established nearly 40 years ago, and a pleasure to be connected to the community of Bizarro readers.


Since Bizarro HQ's side door is still unlocked, I snuck in with six new gags again this week.

I've recently written several Humpty Dumpty gags including this rather dark one. Come to think of it, they've all been on the gruesome side.
The strip layout called for more creative reconfiguration than usual.

Tuesday's panel was based on firsthand experience.

In the strip version, the second character speaks, allowing the balloon and caption box to be placed on the same side of the layout.

This one counts as a curmudgeonly rant from your cartoonist, who feels out of place in a society where many adults dress as if they're auditioning for a reboot of The Little Rascals.

That faux-embroidered lettering is totally OG (Original Grandma).

This panel was my first time drawing a hand holding a hammer concealed by a sweatshirt. My job is a neverending learning experience.

Alternatively, wear a sideways ball cap and saggy shorts.


Beer Here!


I thought this would be the last East End Brewing label to be shared on the blog, but there's one more to come. EEBC recently released a new batch of wheat wine beer called Also, Thanks!, which reuses part of the old Monkey's Uncle art. As soon as I have a label in hand, I'll scan it for an upcoming post.


Now Playing (Podcast Edition)


I've become hooked on Andrew Hickey's podcast, A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs. Hickey is a writer and historian who's produced 165 episodes so far of this fascinating and deeply researched series. He puts a lot of work into every episode and also posts bonus material on his Patreon page. A recent bonus episode highlighted the Bonzo Dog Band, one of my all-time favorites.

At the end of each podcast, Hickey asks the listener to tell just one other person about the project, since word of mouth is still the best way to promote creative projects. I heard about 500 Songs from Bizarro readers Paul and Ellen R, and am happy to let all of you know about it. 

Check it out if you have a chance, and maybe throw some support to Andrew Hickey as he works his way through a history of rock music.


Bonus Track

Beastie Boys: "Boomin' Granny"
Capitol/Grand Royal single, 1992
(B-side of "Jimmy James")




Additional Bizarro Sources

 Wayno's Weekly Bizarro Newsletter

  Dan Piraro's Weekly Bizarro Blog

Dan "Diego" Piraro's Peyote Cowboy Graphic Novel

Thanks for dropping by the old bloggin' corral. Come back next Saturday for more words, pictures and stuff.
 

Copyright© 2023 by Wayno®

14 comments:

  1. I clicked over to the 500 Songs website and was excited to see the current episode is "Dark Star". I thought a podcast would need a pretty long episode to plumb the depths of that phenomenon. I was right. It's over four hours long. I'll give it a go—I love hearing about the history of The Dead.

    There's a podcast from The Grateful Dead organization called The Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the music scene of the early 70s. It covers the band, but also a lot of the wider history of what was going on at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you checked it out. That may be the longest episode on the 500 Songs Podcast!

      Delete
  2. Roxi Rossetti6:28 PM

    I wondered if naming the piggy "Arnold" was a nod to the pig actor in "Green Acres" that I loved so much as a child. Coincidence I suppose, but it brought back a nice memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, Roxi. "Green Acres" imprinted Arnold in my brain as the default pig name.

      Delete
  3. Roxi Rossetti6:30 PM

    "Arnold" the piggy made me think of Arnold the brilliant pig in "Green Acres" - loved that pig when i was a little kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to long overdue justice and Arnold the pig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:04 PM

    I've been listening to the History of Rock Music in 500 Songs podcast for over a year now. I started from the beginning and have been working my way through it. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very well done, isn't it!

      Delete
  6. Nick Lord8:52 AM

    Edeka is a supermarket chain which is pretty big here in Germany. I don't know if they still sell "fischfein" herring fillets. I'll look next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you in advance for your field research, Nick!

      Delete
  7. Actually, hitting the paddle will result in HD becoming hard boiled. Hit him directly for poached.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:52 PM

    Great minds… and isn’t this guy a buddy of yours?http://www.gocomics.com/theargylesweater/2023/06/23
    https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjq-BupiJppTS8NbEGMKEvjt6BXWAo1DeK-YrlSBUBEDAX3Kjb9yxIcY4UzfJ47QZxEGqbMXk03CLcUmwcKTHWxdhLpqCkBDrRN1QkVibm5RYL7RudKZB7Ao76vHksY3mKa9c3GCHy0XSmpZNI94XZN_tsDV8MwQqgVZHDOMADXaV5gQBRWY8Q/s952/Bz-C-230421-P.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw that after my gag was published. This happens to every cartoonist from time to time (from both directions!) I don't know Scott Hilburn, but after learning of his earlier gag, I immediately wrote to him and apologized for not finding his before I did mine. He was a perfect gent, and acknowledged that this sort of thin is inevitable in our biz.

      Delete