Saturday, November 30, 2019

A Schmear of Gratitude

As our country awakens from its annual L-tryptophan coma, we present our most recent batch of cartoon shenanigans, hoping we didn't produce any turkeys.
We're considering doing a version of this drawing with the toppings removed, so Bizarro readers can decorate the bagel with whatever "anything" they desire.


I know, another clown gag. I can't stop myself.


This gag prompted a lot of comments on Nana's recipe, and it seems that dispensing guilt is common in just about every family, regardless of heritage or faith. Apparently, it's one of those things we all share.


In his excellent Comic Strip of the Day blog, Mike Peterson commented, "Ah, trust Bizarro to come up with something  for the occasion."

We just might start using "Whimsical and Slightly Demented" as the studio's corporate tagline.


The drinking bird toy is a version of what's known as a heat engine.

Three letters with layers of meaning and possible intentions.

Thanks for following along for another week. My comments are a little briefer than usual today, because we're headed to a Small Business Saturday open house at the coolest new business location in Pittsburgh, Double Dog Studios.

Don't forget to visit Dan Piraro's blog, for additional comics commentary, and the admire his latest Bizarro Sunday page.

Bonus Track

The Bagel Song



I unabashedly love Homer & Jethro. These guys were top-notch musicians with serious chops, who made dozens of hilarious comedy records parodying popular songs of the day. They also recorded tons of weird and funny original tunes.


I may have initially noticed them because many of their LPs sported gorgeous cover art by the great cartoonist Jack Davis.

Bizarro Studios North has an extensive archive of Homer & Jethro records and artifacts, stored in our climate-controlled vault deep below an undisclosed location in central Pennsylvania.

In the late 20th century, Tower Records' Pulse! Magazine interviewed some cartoonists regarding their musical preferences, and included me in that piece. Naturally, I discussed H&J, and provided a caricature to accompany my responses. Here's a scan of my original art (a cel-vinyl painting).
By the way, Kenneth "Jethro" Burns had a son, Johnny, who turned out to be a fantastic musician just like his papa. Johnny has played with Steve Goodman, John Prine, among many others. He's also a sweet and generous gent, a devoted dog- and cat-daddy, and US Air Force veteran. Proving that something positive can come from social media, I'm proud to say Johnny is a friend of mine.

Despite the Thanksgiving holiday's more-than-problematic history, pausing to consider those things you're grateful for is still a fine idea. Having good friends near and far is at the top of my list.

Of course, I'm also thankful for every Bizarro reader, and I'll do my best to raise a glass to toast each of you before the holiday weekend comes to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment