Saturday, July 07, 2018

We Have Tar

It's the Saturday after the Fourth of July, and I still have all of my digits, so I'm happy to type up another post revisiting the week's Bizarro comics.


I'm not crazy enough to explain this one. However, plenty of people had comments to offer after Dan Piraro shared it on Instagram.


I enjoy looking at creative works made by untrained artists, so this joke is in part self-directed. The business of dealers selling this type of art involves a multitude of contradictions and ethical dilemmas. The concept of "authenticity" is almost beside the point. Our savvy roadside vendor has recognized a suggestible and exploitable demographic.
The strip version of today's cartoon left a little too much dead space, so the signs were rearranged, and I added a new one.

By the way, Baltimore's American Visionary Museum is a fascinating place to see all sorts of outsider art, and I recommend checking it out.

Wednesday's comic updates Oscar Wilde's novel for the Internet age, although it's much more more common for people to post unrealistically flattering profile pictures. If Dorian does manage to hook up, his date should be pleasantly surprised to meet him.


When I first saw the 1933 Invisible Man movie on TV, I actually thought the character was supposed to be the mummy in glasses and clothing, so this cartoon almost wrote itself. 

Hmm, I just noticed that two cartoons in a row started with the word "dude." I'll try to give that a rest for a while.


We generally prefer situational gags over those based on puns. You'll see no "cereal killers" or "hare salons" here. However, when we come up with a surprising pun, we like the challenge of building a cartoon around it. We were pleased with this one, which can be enjoyed as simple wordplay, or read as layered commentary.

Saturday's gag is pretty much straight self-reportage, and although the caption is specific to cartoonists, the situation is familiar to people in any number of professions. Insomnia is no fun, but a brain that's hard to turn off is preferable to one that never starts up.

For even more cartoonsplaining, check out Dan Piraro's blog, and marvel at his latest Sunday Bizarro page.

This Week's Bonus Track

James Jeffrey Plewman (1948 - 2014) was a fascinating musician known by the stage name Nash the Slash. His familiar costume for performing seems to have been inspired, at least in part, by the Invisible Man.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning Nash the Slash, Wayno! I first learned about him from a CD review by Matt Howarth (Those Annoying Post Bros), but hadn't listened to anything by him in the last few years. I was pretty shocked just now to learn he died in 2014. I'm listening to Children of the Night as I type this. Fun stuff.

    So, is the Mummy/Wolfman strip a Nash tribute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only read your cartoons for the articles ... and I love them. This was a particularly productive and insightful week. Thanks and Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. TSOTE:

    I still have some Matt Howarth comics, and one or two sleeves he made for records that never existed. Glad to hear you're re-exploring Nash the Slash. The comic may have been an unconscious tribute to Nash, because his music is in my brain among everything else.

    UNKNOWN:

    That's one of the best compliments I've ever received! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayno:
    Just as kind of a shameless brag, I have a Matt Howarth he did of me (a commission for my birthday a couple years back, bottom of the below link)...
    https://webcomicsinterviews.com/2018/06/27/caricature-of-the-basket-case/
    (Yes, I'd love to see the Howarth sleeves you have, thank you for asking. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool portrait by Howarth!

    ReplyDelete