Saturday, November 26, 2011

Your Pets at Work

Today, we present two recent Bizarro gags showing domestic animals on the job. First up, from Friday, November 25, is a dutiful dog:
The joke of course refers to the schoolboy's standby excuse, "My dog ate my homework."

My submission sketch was very different, and in fact, resulted in the a second cartoon in addition to the one above cartoon. Showing it now would spoil the upcoming cartoon, so here's a redacted version as a small consolation to loyal readers.
Here's a gag from 2005, based on the same theme:
"My homework ate my dog!"
 •••
Following close on the dog's heels are a couple of local news hounds, or, more accurately, news cats:
The final art follows my sketch's general layout (below). As I often point out, the published cartoons are true collaborations. In this comic, the dialog in the second bubble was added by Bizarro's creator Dan Piraro, and it adds a lot to the gag.
Our next joint efforts will appear on Tuesday, November 29 and Thursday, December 1.

I'm also pleased to announce that my second stint as Bizarro's guest cartoonist will begin on Monday December 26, and will wind up on New Year's Day 2012.


If you'd like to revisit our earlier collaborations, they're archived here in the blog under the Bizarro label.

3 comments:

  1. The joke is easy to understand, which is why it's so effective. The finished version is really good.

    I never used that particular excuse when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's questionable whether anyone in history actually used that excuse!

    Thanks, as always, for reading and for your thoughtful comments, Hemlockman.

    ReplyDelete